Blue supplement for halides?

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howdy! I currently am setting up a nuvo 20 and am using metal halide lighting. I’m using a 150w phoenix 14k and have it set up over my 10 gallon right now. I’m looking for a bluer look than I have now and to extended the viewing period. Right now I’m liking t5 atinic retrofits. Or the Orphek UV reef bar. But I feel like they are a little out of my price range. I’m looks for something sub $100 but that’s proven to work.
Thanks for your help!

OP
OP
Jacked Reefer

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think of just trying a 20K MH bulb? I think that'd be the least expensive way to increase your blue.
I haven't found a non-ebay 20k de 150w. But most of my reasoning is longer veiwing time. 7 hours just feels to short.

ludnix

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't found a non-ebay 20k de 150w. But most of my reasoning is longer veiwing time. 7 hours just feels to short.
I think USHIO makes a DE 20k 150w but I'm may be mis-remembering. What is your setup like? Do you have a canopy or the tank rimless? I would vote for T5 supplementation with actinic bulbs or super blue but I understand the cost can vary quite a bit and is never exactly cheap. LEDs would likely be cheaper but I cannot give you a solid recommendation on a brand that is well proven that doesn't break the bank too.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know someone locally that has MH bulbs. If you are interested, pm me.

OP
OP
Jacked Reefer

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think USHIO makes a DE 20k 150w but I'm may be mis-remembering. What is your setup like? Do you have a canopy or the tank rimless? I would vote for T5 supplementation with actinic bulbs or super blue but I understand the cost can vary quite a bit and is never exactly cheap. LEDs would likely be cheaper but I cannot give you a solid recommendation on a brand that is well proven that doesn't break the bank too.
I would build a canopy around whatever supplement I purchased. And t5 is currently winning in cost effectiveness. Im just worried about how much extra PAR would be added. Because i can barley keep lps without fully bleaching them.

OP
OP
Jacked Reefer

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used cheap amazon LED light bars to good effect. They won't add anything as far as par is concerned, but they will extend your viewing time, give a more blue look, and are VERY affordable.
Would you mind putting up a link?
Hamilton has 150w in 20k.
Just looked it up! Thanks!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back