Blue tang 3 issues help!

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Got him torn top fin soon with white bulb, new black spot, and new red on both sides of his face/eye area

Just did a 50% water change. Today is day 3 of qt. He hasn't been eating much.

He was delayed an extra day by ups. Capillary congestion? Yellow Tang and wrasse look okay.

Ammonia is zero

20191207_095015.jpg 20191207_095046.jpg 20191207_095112.jpg

Last edited:

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For fish that have been roughed up during shipping, I like to give them a bath in methylene blue. It helps with some of the scrapes and more importantly, helps the fish's gills that probably have some ammonia burn, to transpire O2. Then I would treat in QT with NFG powder. But NFG is a bit hard to source, so the next best would be Furan2 which is more available. It will help with bacterial infections as it is a wide spectrum antibiotic. Best of luck with your fish.

OP
OP
K

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
For fish that have been roughed up during shipping, I like to give them a bath in methylene blue. It helps with some of the scrapes and more importantly, helps the fish's gills that probably have some ammonia burn, to transpire O2. Then I would treat in QT with NFG powder. But NFG is a bit hard to source, so the next best would be Furan2 which is more available. It will help with bacterial infections as it is a wide spectrum antibiotic. Best of luck with your fish.
I picked up melafix and meth blue. Which one should I use?

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use them both. Do the bath with the methylene blue, and then treat the tank with the melafix.
Melafix can treat very mild bacterial infections. Should consider getting something "stronger" if needed like Furan2, Sulfaplex, Neoplex, NFG powder, for more difficult bacterial infections that require a "wide spectrum" antibiotic.

OP
OP
K

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Use them both. Do the bath with the methylene blue, and then treat the tank with the melafix.
Melafix can treat very mild bacterial infections. Should consider getting something "stronger" if needed like Furan2, Sulfaplex, Neoplex, NFG powder, for more difficult bacterial infections that require a "wide spectrum" antibiotic.

Just got some metroplex

OP
OP
K

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
So I dosed the melafix before getting the metrappex. So I dosed metaplex since I was going to do a transfer st 8. Wellz the wrasse looked bad, so I transfered him to the new tank. I dipped the tangs on meth blue bc the yellow has some red on his nose. Yellow Tang seems like himself. Blue tang is swimming more. Wrasse is breathing heavy. I did not dip the wrasse

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @Big G. Stronger antibiotics would be my suggestion as he has mentioned.

OP
OP
K

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
So I dipped with meth blue yesterday. I decided on dosing prazipro last night while my wrasse was in the sandbed. He was looking rough. Breathing fast and lethargic. And the back spot could of been black ich?

So today all are way more active. The melanurus wrasse is like a different fish. The yellow Tang has always been active, but now the blue tang is actually not hiding as much. I normally do a FW dip before putting them in, but since the shipment was super late, I skipped that step. I wonder if flukes was part or the whole problem?

At least I saw everyone eating. I soaked some sea veggies and pe mysis in zoecon overnight for them

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back