Blue tang become skinny

Mohammad.ki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pleas help me i have this blue tank it was very happy from 4 months but now i see it look a skinny she was more fat when i buy it
1- i feed only flakes food
2- now I noticed my salinity tester showing wrong value ,so the fish was living at 1.040 insted of 1.024

is this two things makes my blue tank skinny by the way other fish no problem and all of them active well and no one has a problem

E77A2F35-47BF-4D64-9543-53E1427CAC4B.jpeg 7DD61917-EF39-4758-8AE6-6D804536D0EE.jpeg

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs need nori (algae) daily as part of their diet. I use nori I purchase from my local oriental market (H Mart is the best!). I talk about how I prepare the nori HERE.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should also give it frozen food and nori. Your fish is very skinny. How often do you feed it?. Try to feed it more often until it recover. Flake is ok but not for everyday.

OP
OP
Mohammad.ki

Mohammad.ki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should also give it frozen food and nori. Your fish is very skinny. How often do you feed it?. Try to feed it more often until it recover. Flake is ok but not for everyday.
Normally i feed twice per day morning and at night, i will try to get nori . Alos any type of nori is okay i see in my local red and brown nori omega one brand or only green nori

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally i feed twice per day morning and at night, i will try to get nori . Alos any type of nori is okay i see in my local red and brown nori omega one brand or only green nori

Just plain nori.....no spices or salted. Most likely will be roasted, and that really doesn't matter. The one thing I pay attention to is the thickness....I prefer thicker nori, but any thickness works. I can't give a brand because they are all in oriental languages and there are just way too many to pick one. The H Mart I shop at must have 40-50 different brands of nori. I will tell you, don't buy kelp. I tried that....a large package....and they didn't touch it.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I alternate different color nori, but is may not be necessary. Also feed more and my blue tank love frozen Hikari food and LRS frenzy.

OP
OP
Mohammad.ki

Mohammad.ki

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pleas help me my blue tank keep getting skinny i am feeding them every day from 3-4 days nori and protein pills and all of them eating and the blue tang eat allot and they make too much waste i am scared to get sick and die

mnl119

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pleas help me i have this blue tank it was very happy from 4 months but now i see it look a skinny she was more fat when i buy it
1- i feed only flakes food
2- now I noticed my salinity tester showing wrong value ,so the fish was living at 1.040 insted of 1.024

is this two things makes my blue tank skinny by the way other fish no problem and all of them active well and no one has a problem

E77A2F35-47BF-4D64-9543-53E1427CAC4B.jpeg 7DD61917-EF39-4758-8AE6-6D804536D0EE.jpeg
1.040 salinity? Yikes. The fish probably got dehydrated as water left his body to try to equalize salinity.

Also, are you sure he's actually eating what you are giving him? Tangs are herbivores in nature, but will readily take anything given in captivity. I have a Sail Fin that literally eats anything. He's the fattest tang I've ever seen.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Change some salt water with fresh water. Do that a little at the time through out the day, as you do not want to go too fast or you fish will be in shock. That high salinity should affect all your fish though. You may want to recheck your salinity or ask your LFS to check it for you to make sure your measurements are now correct.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 68 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 14 16.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 9.4%
  • Other

Votes: 5 5.9%
Back