Blue tang has scratches all over!

Newreefer7777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I recently bought a blue tang and two chromis everyone is eating and looks well but my blue tang has white scratches all over his body I don’t believe it’s ick or a bacterial infection but it’s very strange I haven’t added anything into the tank for 7 months all the other fish are doing well and everyone is eating and swimming. The other fish in the tank are a bi color parrotfish, a fairy wrasse, two small clowns, and a pair of blue chromis. I got the chromis and the tang from the same tank and they are doing well. My levels are PH: 8.3, Ammonia: 0, Nitrate: 0, Nirtite: 0, Salinty: 1.024. Attached are some pictures of the fish. Sorry for the bad quality but looking at it now the scratches are only on his sides they are a bit spread out he is swimming and eating well.

5C481D62-837E-4AB6-A4E4-8881985DAD3E.jpeg B42B4E8F-1C94-47D9-ADAD-F9A9E1FCB965.jpeg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It isn't unusual for Hippo Tangs to get some scrapes, especially when new to a tank, since they like to wedge themselves in the rockwork.
One thing you could watch out for is if he is trying to rub himself against the rocks which can be a sign of flukes.

OP
OP
Newreefer7777

Newreefer7777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It isn't unusual for Hippo Tangs to get some scrapes, especially when new to a tank, since they like to wedge themselves in the rockwork.
One thing you could watch out for is if he is trying to rub himself against the rocks which can be a sign of flukes.
Hello, I’ve been in front of the tank for an hour and I haven’t seen him scratch against rocks or sand. I feel like it this is anything like flukes or Ich it would have spread to my other fish by now. Thank you for your reply

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I’ve been in front of the tank for an hour and I haven’t seen him scratch against rocks or sand. I feel like it this is anything like flukes or Ich it would have spread to my other fish by now. Thank you for your reply
Any chance on getting some clearer pictures taken under white light? Sometimes a short video is clearer than a still pic.
Jay

OP
OP
Newreefer7777

Newreefer7777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any chance on getting some clearer pictures taken under white light? Sometimes a short video is clearer than a still pic.
Jay
It is very hard to see them under the light but the best I can describe them is that their scratches on his sides the fish is eating and I don’t see him scratching on the rocks all the marks are close together and all my other fish do not seem affected in the slightest

Attachments

• IMG_7307.MOV
    24.5 MB
OP
OP
Newreefer7777

Newreefer7777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay
It is very hard to see them under the light but the best I can describe them is that their scratches on his sides

Attachments

• IMG_7308.MOV
    66.1 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the video. Weird, I can can see your other fish fairly clearly, but the tang looks "posterized", out of focus with overly bright blue coloration. None of the fish look distressed, and the tang seems to be swimming normally. The issue is this: small hepatus tangs live naturally in the prongs of staghorn coral. It isn't likely that they would get scratched by rocks or coral...they are well adapted at avoiding that. It could be the fish got frightened and ran into something, but I was worried that the "scratches" were from aggression from another fish, or signs of disease. At this point though, I don't see any evidence of that, so I don't see any treatment or isolation called for.

Jay

OP
OP
Newreefer7777

Newreefer7777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the video. Weird, I can can see your other fish fairly clearly, but the tang looks "posterized", out of focus with overly bright blue coloration. None of the fish look distressed, and the tang seems to be swimming normally. The issue is this: small hepatus tangs live naturally in the prongs of staghorn coral. It isn't likely that they would get scratched by rocks or coral...they are well adapted at avoiding that. It could be the fish got frightened and ran into something, but I was worried that the "scratches" were from aggression from another fish, or signs of disease. At this point though, I don't see any evidence of that, so I don't see any treatment or isolation called for.

Jay
Thanks Jay!

klsp19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jay!
Hi there! How is your Blue tang doing now? I have the same issue with my tang now? He has some few scratches and it is either I'm suspecting the rock, but some one told it is highly unlikely it is it and the other suspicion i have is it probably stung by anemone.

Back