Blue tang has what appears to be cuts or scars all over its body. Does anyone know what this is?

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A6804213-6336-4F98-BEEF-5E4B15576CAC.jpeg

reefproaquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any chance you can get a better picture, possibly with more white light and closer up? Otherwise we will all be guessing for days.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did this just pop up on him? Might have gotten stuck in-between two rocks or had a run-in with that euphyllia coral.

OP
OP
A

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the best photos I have available right now. There are pictures of two different tangs. Clearly one tang has the issue much worse than the other. My initial thought was scratches from the sps, lps and live rock as this tanks coral has grown in significantly. However the issue of scaring on the fish has progressed and become very unsightly. Now I’m seeing a similar issue on another blue tang under my care in a larger aquarium with much more room. I’m now thinking it’s Marine head and lateral line erosion. These fish are given a variety of different seaweeds and frozen fish foods daily but nowhere I’m enriching their food by soaking in fuel or selcon to provide more fatty acids. Interestingly enough this condition is not found in the wild. I’m leaning towards providing a better diet and less stress though I’m afraid I won’t be able to remove the scars.

jrwiechman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some articles say activated carbon can be a culprit or stray voltage. Something to check in to at least.

OP
OP
A

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking HLLE too. I usually just see it as light colored patches under the eyes but in the case of these fish there are cuts in the skin. The fish don’t exhibit any other behaviors or adverse health concerns as they eat regularly and don’t stay in hiding.

OP
OP
A

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I’ve read articles on the carbon and stray voltage hypothesis too. The authors of the particular articles I read just aren’t able to conclusively determine that those are directly related to this issue. I also care for other blue tangs with carbon and I use a multimeter to check all my tanks for stray voltage along with grounding probes. I appreciate your input. It just sucks seeing such beautiful fish covered in scars.

OP
OP
A

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was the article I found on what I believe the issue might be. I don’t know how to post the link but it’s easy to find with google.
164D6781-882F-4400-A442-61B58506229F.png

Back