Blue Tang Ich

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hippo tang in my QT and he is showing signs of ich. I have started cupramine dosing. Yesterday I got up to 0.5ppm and today 1.0ppm. He ate a pellet yesterday, but isn't eating today. He is pretty covered. My plan was to get up to 2ppm and maintain for 14 days. My concern is eating. I have nori in tank and tried mysis and pellets. Should I do a FW dip for relief? I did a 2hr ParaGuard dip before going into QT. He looked and acted perfectly fine during dip. Any suggestions and guidance is appreciated!

20200921_161855.jpg 20200921_162333.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Freshwater dip yes and assure salinity and temperature is spot on in the tank.
Also keep an eye on the ick as I am questioning if we are in Ich stage or progressing to Velvet.
Lets get a second opinion. . @Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
rwreef

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshwater dip yes and assure salinity and temperature is spot on in the tank.
Also keep an eye on the ick as I am questioning if we are in Ich stage or progressing to Velvet.
Lets get a second opinion. . @Jay Hemdal
Salinity at 1.025 with ATO in QT, temp at 78deg with Cobalt neo therm heater

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity at 1.025 with ATO in QT, temp at 78deg with Cobalt neo therm heater

That looks like Cryptocaryon, ich to me. it’s possible that it could have velvet at the same time, but I’ve never had that happen.

At this point, you need to get your copper up to a full dose. A FW dip might help as well.

Be sure you monitor ammonia to keep it low.

Jay

OP
OP
rwreef

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like Cryptocaryon, ich to me. it’s possible that it could have velvet at the same time, but I’ve never had that happen.

At this point, you need to get your copper up to a full dose. A FW dip might help as well.

Be sure you monitor ammonia to keep it low.

Jay
Full dose at 2ppm? Working on FW dip now

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full dose at 2ppm? Working on FW dip now

Which copper test kit do you have? Don't forget - NEVER use dechlor, ammonia remover or other reducing agents in an aquarium that has been dosed with Cupramine, it can release the copper. Also, be aware that you may get a false positive on an ammonia test when using Cupramine. When I said get to full dose ASAP, that means the manufacturer's recommendation, as the products differ a bit.

Jay

OP
OP
rwreef

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which copper test kit do you have? Don't forget - NEVER use dechlor, ammonia remover or other reducing agents in an aquarium that has been dosed with Cupramine, it can release the copper. Also, be aware that you may get a false positive on an ammonia test when using Cupramine. When I said get to full dose ASAP, that means the manufacturer's recommendation, as the products differ a bit.

Jay
I'm using the API test kit

16007296415204467112835351281465.jpg 16007296980559016511120877403421.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use that kit also, but the color gradations are a bit difficult to read. A lot of people are using the $50 Hanna checker. I use the API kit, but I cheat and read a standard curve on a spectrophotometer (grin).

Jay

OP
OP
rwreef

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use that kit also, but the color gradations are a bit difficult to read. A lot of people are using the $50 Hanna checker. I use the API kit, but I cheat and read a standard curve on a spectrophotometer (grin).

Jay
What's your thoughts on this value? 1ppm?

20200921_191229.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I worry that trying to pick a color match in real time is hard enough, from a photo, even worse. I don't use Cupramine, I use Coppersafe. When I dose that to the label directions, I hit a full dose every time (according to my spectro). I just figured Cupramine would be similar?

Jay

OP
OP
rwreef

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question. My tank looks MUCH better today ...started look better yesterday. Today I really can't see any white spots on him. Should I move him to a new fresh clean tank? Kind of a combo TTM and copper? And match copper levels in new tank? Thoughts? For me it seems like it wouldn't hurt to remove some of the ich while it's not on the fish...

Sunreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would also check on ph levels in fw dip. May need to use buffer to keep it in-line with the sw. It might be just me, but I feel folks miss this point too often. I lost a pbt to a few dip without checking ph - with temp being almost the same. Used rodi water.

OP
OP
rwreef

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would also check on ph levels in fw dip. May need to use buffer to keep it in-line with the sw. It might be just me, but I feel folks miss this point too often. I lost a pbt to a few dip without checking ph - with temp being almost the same. Used rodi water.
Agreed, i am matching Ph. Do you agree with the new tank while the parasite appears to be off the fish?

Last edited:

Sunreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, i am matching Ph. Do you agree with the new tank while the parasite appears to be off the fish?
Personally, I would eradicate the problem instead taking shots at navigating through issues. Just my 2cents. This means taking the full course of treatment on the fish and on the infected tank.

OP
OP
rwreef

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I would eradicate the problem instead taking shots at navigating through issues. Just my 2cents. This means taking the full course of treatment on the fish and on the infected tank.
I plan to continue the copper treatment in QT. But was curious if changing over to a fresh ich free tank with copper while the parasites are off the fish and reproducing. Basically TTM but with copper...my assumption is that I would be removing many of the parasites and give the fish some relief before round 2 of parasites reattaching to the fish.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back