Blue Tang Ich

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would also check on ph levels in fw dip. May need to use buffer to keep it in-line with the sw. It might be just me, but I feel folks miss this point too often. I lost a pbt to a few dip without checking ph - with temp being almost the same. Used rodi water.

In many parts of the country, it is actually best to just use tap water and adjust to the proper temperature. The chlorine isn't high enough to cause harm in the five minutes the dip takes, the pH of most municipal water systems runs 7.8 to 8.5. The fact that the water is essentially sterile is a big plus. If you use RO/DI you will have to buffer it. Remember, if you make the dip water too inviting, the parasites won't want to leave the fish(grin). Indeed, Neobenedenia flukes often need a bit of agitation to get them to let go...

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to continue the copper treatment in QT. But was curious if changing over to a fresh ich free tank with copper while the parasites are off the fish and reproducing. Basically TTM but with copper...my assumption is that I would be removing many of the parasites and give the fish some relief before round 2 of parasites reattaching to the fish.

I agree with @Sunreefer on this - stay the course in the same tank (assuming your ammonia level is well-managed). A modified TTM like you envision picks up most of the risk of moving fish to a fresh tank (damaging it, having ammonia problems, etc.) with none of the main benefits (timing it so that the parasites lose out).

Jay

OP
OP
rwreef

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @Sunreefer on this - stay the course in the same tank (assuming your ammonia level is well-managed). A modified TTM like you envision picks up most of the risk of moving fish to a fresh tank (damaging it, having ammonia problems, etc.) with none of the main benefits (timing it so that the parasites lose out).

Jay
Thanks ! This is exactly the info i was looking for.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait a moment, 2.0 PPM is fine for chelated copper, but for Cupramine (ionic copper) this is fatal. Cupramine shouldn’t be above .5 maybe .75 for virulent strains.

Copper power and coppersafe are fine at 2.5PPM.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
And . . . Be sure to remove carbon/carbon source. Many treat for a few days and state the copper is not working , not realizing that the carbon is removing it quickly.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back