Blue tang in copper QT with re-occuring white fluffy spots.

KGV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small blue tang that has been in a QT for almost a month. He's in 2.5ppm copper safe and been through two rounds of praziquantel. Almost done with QT, I was disappointed to see he's carrying now a few white spots towards the dorsal fin. He's had such spots on other parts of the body as well. They seem to come and go in different places. I added kanaplex since two days. It may have improved, but is not gone. Any idea what this could be?
IMG_6381.jpg
Bl

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to see, but hepatus tangs are prone to developing what I call “mucus plugs” - especially after copper treatments. Basically, the mucus skin cells produce too much mucus and it sits there on the skin. After the QT, reduce the copper and observe it for two weeks, they often go away.
Jay

OP
OP
KGV

KGV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tough to see, but hepatus tangs are prone to developing what I call “mucus plugs” - especially after copper treatments. Basically, the mucus skin cells produce too much mucus and it sits there on the skin. After the QT, reduce the copper and observe it for two weeks, they often go away.
Jay
Awesome. He doesn’t seem to be bothered by it all so you may be right. Today is 1 month in copper so time to switch to normal saltwater. Thanks @Jay Hemdal!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back