Blue Tang in my tank?

dandushe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello to all, I want to get a Blue tang, but I want him to live happily, and so I am wondering if my tank is big enough for a baby tang. It's a 30 gallon.
20230108_223832.jpg

stovenut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably already know the right answer to the question. You should never buy a pet that you can't currently take care of. Your tank would be a great habitat for a pair of clowns, a watchman goby, firefish goby and maybe another small fish. But not a tang. If you want blue and yellow color try an azure damsel.

OP
OP
dandushe

dandushe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably already know the right answer to the question. You should never buy a pet that you can't currently take care of. Your tank would be a great habitat for a pair of clowns, a watchman goby, firefish goby and maybe another small fish. But not a tang. If you want blue and yellow color try an azure damsel.
Okay, okay, thanks...guess the next tanks gotta be bigger.

NotReefsafe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah definitely not, with a tank that shape it has the swimming space of a much smaller tank. Above suggestions are good ones, could also try blue sapphire damsel, neon dottyback, , possum wrasse, or royal gramma

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I wouldn't suggest a blue tang in that size tank. While I am an advocate for keeping tangs in slightly smaller tanks than is often recommended as long as their other needs are met, hippo tangs and other open-water species are an exception. Think of them as little tuna, they very rarely stop moving in the wild. Zebrasoma and Ctenochaetus spp. often spend time hovering in the water or slowly cruising, and as such can be kept in smaller tanks than other tangs (eg. 3-4'). However, the reputation that tangs get as hyperactive little monsters is fairly well deserved for the other species. Even a 3" hippo would need a 3-4' foot tank to stay healthy, and an adult needs at least a 5'x2' footprint and lots of flow to get enough exercise. Tangs are also rather difficult to care for, for a few reasons. They can be really mean, they need frequent feedings of algae-based food, and they can get diseases super easily. Instead, I'd go with an azure/allen's damselfish. They are tough as nails, do well in tanks as small as 5 gallons, and shouldn't be bullies to other fish. Other species of damsels can be mean, so make sure that you are getting the right one. Good luck with your tank!

OP
OP
dandushe

dandushe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! I wouldn't suggest a blue tang in that size tank. While I am an advocate for keeping tangs in slightly smaller tanks than is often recommended as long as their other needs are met, hippo tangs and other open-water species are an exception. Think of them as little tuna, they very rarely stop moving in the wild. Zebrasoma and Ctenochaetus spp. often spend time hovering in the water or slowly cruising, and as such can be kept in smaller tanks than other tangs (eg. 3-4'). However, the reputation that tangs get as hyperactive little monsters is fairly well deserved for the other species. Even a 3" hippo would need a 3-4' foot tank to stay healthy, and an adult needs at least a 5'x2' footprint and lots of flow to get enough exercise. Tangs are also rather difficult to care for, for a few reasons. They can be really mean, they need frequent feedings of algae-based food, and they can get diseases super easily. Instead, I'd go with an azure/allen's damselfish. They are tough as nails, do well in tanks as small as 5 gallons, and shouldn't be bullies to other fish. Other species of damsels can be mean, so make sure that you are getting the right one. Good luck with your tank!
got you, thank you so much for the information.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back