Blue Tang Nipping Xenia

Zarharsha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a blue tang when it was the size of a dime, it has now grown to about 3 inches. It hides in a hole hidden by a Xenia, which I’ve caught it nipping, and I’ve seen the coral have a piece out of it. It’s fat and healthy, and it’s not done it in the 3 years I’ve had it. I don’t mind it nipping the Xenia, but I’m afraid it’ll have a taste for the other corals. Can I stop him from eating the Xenia, or will he always be like that?

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No way of stopping it from eating the Xenia

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a blue hippo tang that suddenly got a taste for elegance coral. After being a model reef citizen for a couple years, the next thing I know, half the lobe of the elegance was gone. Had to take that fish back to the LFS. I didn’t keep mine around long enough to know for sure, but I think once they acquire the taste, that’s it.

Reeffraff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a blue tang that suddenly decided favias and zoas were on the menu (but nothing else). Didn't matter how much food the fish was offered, pellets, nori, frozen, it didn't stop but it also didn't expand to other types of corals. I'd wait and see how things go. If you've got a tang that keeps Xenia in check and leaves other corals alone, I'd call that a win-win!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 35.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 27.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back