Blue tang scratching

hairyashell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this blue tang scratching against the pvc pipes and always swimming against the wavemaker current in QT being treated with copper with other fishes. Administering general cure (as I initially thought it might be flukes) simultaneously. I started noticing a purple patch on its belly and its breathing heavily as well. Although it's still eating and active. Any ideas?

20220103_143714.jpg

Bepis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better quality pics would help with diagnosis

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this blue tang scratching against the pvc pipes and always swimming against the wavemaker current in QT being treated with copper with other fishes. Administering general cure (as I initially thought it might be flukes) simultaneously. I started noticing a purple patch on its belly and its breathing heavily as well. Although it's still eating and active. Any ideas?

20220103_143714.jpg
I normally avoid treating copper and general cure at the same time. In fact, general cure overall is more stressful than treating with Prazipro or pure praziquantel. Just make sure you aerate the tank well, and change a third of the water 48 hours after the general cure treatment/

Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
H

hairyashell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally avoid treating copper and general cure at the same time. In fact, general cure overall is more stressful than treating with Prazipro or pure praziquantel. Just make sure you aerate the tank well, and change a third of the water 48 hours after the general cure treatment/

Jay Hemdal
I think there is enough aeration as I have a sump below where the water is dropped into and pumped up.

I'm already on the 2nd dose of general cure (dosed after 7 days from the 1st dose). Is the 2nd dose supposed to be shorter? I assumed I would have to wait a week after 2nd dose before doing water change

OP
OP
H

hairyashell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there is enough aeration as I have a sump below where the water is dropped into and pumped up.

I'm already on the 2nd dose of general cure (dosed after 7 days from the 1st dose). Is the 2nd dose supposed to be shorter? I assumed I would have to wait a week after 2nd dose before doing water change
@Jay Hemdal would appreciate if you could kindly elaborate on this

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The praziquantel in the GC degrades in less than 48 hours. Doing the water change after that point does not reduce the effectiveness of the treatment (metronidazole isn’t a super effective component of the treatment anyway).
Jay

OP
OP
H

hairyashell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice everyone. The tang is doing better now it seems. Less heavy breathing, not scratching anymore and swimming around the tank instead of against the wavemaker. I suspect it was flukes which GC seems to have taken care of

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back