Blue Tang Sick? Or just over analyzing?

CleanRiversDirtRoads

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. Recently stocked my tank with the first 6 fish and the blue tang has two small spots on it I’ve noticed. Does this look like ich or anything I should be worried about? The fish eats great and acts normal (no scratching or rubbing) only odd thing is at night it tucks into a small crack in the rock and sleeps for a while after lights out and then comes back out and swims again after a little while. None of the other fish have any spots on them.
1773A5F0-1D9C-4282-91D9-98B8AF10937D.jpeg

4615F0A7-F04E-45A9-9E0A-89DBF4AF5CF4.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ich is not confined to two dots. Possible viral dots but before reacting. How is fish breathing (normal or labored) and eating?
Check in the morning and tomorrow evening and see if same two marks or if more have appeared and post new pic’s if more dots

OP
OP
C

CleanRiversDirtRoads

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich is not confined to two dots. Possible viral dots but before reacting. How is fish breathing (normal or labored) and eating?
Check in the morning and tomorrow evening and see if same two marks or if more have appeared and post new pic’s if more dots
Thanks for the quick response! I noticed the dots the day after I got him about a week ago and they have not spread. Fish eats A TON at every feeding (seaweed attached to a rock, mysis every other day, and pellets daily) and has normal breathing. Just not super brave yet, but I’ve read that they tend to be that way at the beginning.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks for the quick response! I noticed the dots the day after I got him about a week ago and they have not spread. Fish eats A TON at every feeding (seaweed attached to a rock, mysis every other day, and pellets daily) and has normal breathing. Just not super brave yet, but I’ve read that they tend to be that way at the beginning.
May Be lymphocystis which with good water quality and diet will allow it to fall off the fish by itself

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one to the back is the scalpel, pick is too blue can't see what you have circled in the front. It is very normal for them to hide at night as they don't want to get eaten.

OP
OP
C

CleanRiversDirtRoads

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one to the back is the scalpel, pick is too blue can't see what you have circled in the front. It is very normal for them to hide at night as they don't want to get eaten.
Thank you! I’ll see if I can get a better pic. Unfortunately, I don’t have a filter for my camera lens. Ill play around with it and see what I can do.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't think it's any disease. Maybe a blemish under the eye (like a little scratch or something, should heal on its own if so). The spot by the tail probably just the scalpel. All tangs have them and that's why they are also sometimes called "surgeonfish". They use it for defense but not usually on aquarists. Generally a last resort sort of thing for them.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!! - I apologize - it is also difficult to see for me. BUT - if I significantly magnify the photo - I see what you mean (the bump near the eye) - The area in the back - does look like the so called 'scalpel' but IMHO - doesn't look totally normal - but again that was when really magnified - and may have been injured when moving, etc. (the 'scalpel' is actually a modified scale').

In any case - I agree with the others - It does not look like cryptocaryon (ich) - it could be a scar from an old injury - it could be lymphocystis - which is self-limiting - most of the time - it could be another external parasite (better close up pictures - if possible). I would not be overly concerned however. Its a great fish! Watch carefully for any other symptoms, etc

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back