Blue tang starting to loose colour

Zonair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so 2 days ago I bought a blue tang and recently I've realised that its starting to loose its colour and is starting to turn white, the only other tank mates ive got are two clown fish and a few crabs and snails. Could it just be because of stress as it's fairly new in the tank or is it something serious? Photos are below

Screenshot_20191111-215534_Video Player.jpg Screenshot_20191111-215518_Video Player.jpg
20191111_220515.jpg

Last edited:

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for people to help we need complete parameters and more detailed information on your tank... from the picture it appears tank is brand new and I’m also guessing it’s not big enough for the tang.

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes please provide parameters, how long has the tank been running along with size of tank, did you quarantine your clowns and this tang?

OP
OP
Z

Zonair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I forgot to give all the info, it's just a 55l tank and the tang is only going to be in there for just a few months before I either buy a much bigger tank for it or find a new home, this was literally the smallest tang at my LFS and i bought it because I hardly see them this small. The tank has been setup for almost two months now. In terms of parameters I've been monitoring them for the last two days and my ammonia and nitrite are undetectable and salinity I've been trying to keep at 1.023. I don't have a nitrate kit as of yet but I have been doing a 25% water change every week or sometimes even a 10% every 3 days. I have never seen the clowns show any sort of aggression towards it infact the tang always seems to stick around with them, but when I first put the tang in I had a neon damselfish that started being aggressive towards it so I took it out the same day and gave it back to my LFS. I haven't quarantined any of them because I don't have another tank setup as of yet but my LFS quarantines every fish they get before selling it (rare LFS that does that around my area). The Tang is eating well and swims around all day and doesn't really show any other signs of stress.

Travis Alderman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like HLLE under its eye. It can be reversed.

Could be due to diet. Try feeding food soaked in selcon or vitamin by brightwell along with more seaweed based foods like Hikari seaweed extreme.

Check if there is any stray voltage as well. The final thing they think causes HLLE is activated carbon fines getting into the tank. So if you're running carbon put the exit/effluent through a filter sock.

OP
OP
Z

Zonair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been feeding it ocean nutrition green seaweed with garlic and also Vitalis platinum marine pellets. I do have carbon in the sump so I'll definitely go buy a filter sock and selcon tomorrow and give that a go. And how should I check for stray voltage?

DEWreefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With your carbon in the sump you will want to make sure it is not in an area where water is beating it up. The dust that comes off the carbon can really effect the hippo tang. My friend had the same issue where he placed a bag of carbon in the filter sock and it broke it all up. His hippo tang did the same thing got pale and started getting HLLE. he removed the carbon then fed the fish with a high vitamin food and the tang cleared up in a month.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
55 litres is like 14 gallons. IMO rehome the tang now then buy one when you actually have the tank upgrade you've planned. That is the reason your tang is doing poorly.

OP
OP
Z

Zonair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help guys, I'll start looking for a new home for him and in the mean time I'll remove the carbon all together.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
VITAMIN DEFICIENCY. Feed it nori coated with garlic. Besides nori, add selcon vitamins to the following foods:
LRS herbivore diet
Spirulina brine shrimp
Formula 2 frozen and flakes
Mysis shrimp
Plankton
Rods foods

you quickly notice a difference

Euphyllia97

Empty wallet member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with all of the above.However I have noticed that my blue tang sometimes changes color aswell for a few days if it has been in a stressful situation. (Tank upgrade)

He also has the ability to change his color whenever he is getting fed, although this only last for a minute or 2.

“Losing color” could be due to the stress put on this fish by changing him to another tank, and doesn’t have to be a big concern in short-term.

Besides this, your tank definitely is too small to house any sort of tang. Even if it’s only for a few months... When you are keeping a well-fed and healthy blue tang it will outgrow a 55 liters in a month.

Good luck!

NShirke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had same issue with my blue tang. I’m adding selcon vitamin to his diet. I see some recovery from HLLE.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back