Blue tang starting to loose colour

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is very easy. That tank is way to new for that fish and the lack of rock is causing stress and that is what hippo tangs do when stressed. They need to hide a lot of the time and he can't in there. You need way more caves. If you can see him, he can see you and he hates that.
I would feed him seafood like LRS food or clams. no dry foods.
He will color up if he was in a proper tank where he can totally hide.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I don't see any sort of dusty appearance
Well, that's good because color loss is often associated with the onset of velvet.

Sounds like it's just a stray voltage or nutrition issue. Also, blue tangs are notorious for losing some color when they are stressed...mine used to pout and wedge itself in the rocks when something/someone upset him. Are there other changes to the tank, operation, or chemistry that could've triggered some stress?

OP
OP
Z

Zonair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that's good because color loss is often associated with the onset of velvet.

Sounds like it's just a stray voltage or nutrition issue. Also, blue tangs are notorious for losing some color when they are stressed...mine used to pout and wedge itself in the rocks when something/someone upset him. Are there other changes to the tank, operation, or chemistry that could've triggered some stress?
No I haven't really changed much in the tank so I'm thinking it might just be stress as its just been added to the tank, or due to the carbon

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I forgot to give all the info, it's just a 55l tank and the tang is only going to be in there for just a few months before I either buy a much bigger tank for it or find a new home, this was literally the smallest tang at my LFS and i bought it because I hardly see them this small. The tank has been setup for almost two months now. In terms of parameters I've been monitoring them for the last two days and my ammonia and nitrite are undetectable and salinity I've been trying to keep at 1.023. I don't have a nitrate kit as of yet but I have been doing a 25% water change every week or sometimes even a 10% every 3 days. I have never seen the clowns show any sort of aggression towards it infact the tang always seems to stick around with them, but when I first put the tang in I had a neon damselfish that started being aggressive towards it so I took it out the same day and gave it back to my LFS. I haven't quarantined any of them because I don't have another tank setup as of yet but my LFS quarantines every fish they get before selling it (rare LFS that does that around my area). The Tang is eating well and swims around all day and doesn't really show any other signs of stress.

Another example of the LFS giving bad info or withholding info all together.

When the Damselfish began showing aggression toward a new tank member, why did you get rid of the Damselfish when you stated you would only have the Tang for a short time until you "buy a much bigger tank or find it a new home"?

Thats like living at home with your parents and getting thrown out of the house because your baby brother was born! LOL ;)

Anyway, I think your best bet is to take the Tang back to the LFS. Hopefully you are dealing with a stress issue and not a disease issue.

OP
OP
Z

Zonair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another example of the LFS giving bad info or withholding info all together.

When the Damselfish began showing aggression toward a new tank member, why did you get rid of the Damselfish when you stated you would only have the Tang for a short time until you "buy a much bigger tank or find it a new home"?

Thats like living at home with your parents and getting thrown out of the house because your baby brother was born! LOL ;)

Anyway, I think your best bet is to take the Tang back to the LFS. Hopefully you are dealing with a stress issue and not a disease issue.
Well my LFS said "Damselfish can be aggressive but so can your clowns" and i think because the clowns and the Damsel were introduced to the tank at the same time, there wasnt much aggression until i added the tang. So I decided to give away the Damselfish because I didn't want it to hurt my tang in the time that it was going to be in the tank for and also it was a better option to go with because when I plan to get something else after taking the tang out such as a goby i wouldn't have to worry about the damselfish attacking it aswell, if that makes sense you know. But yea I'll see if I can find a new home for it otherwise I'll have to eventually give it back to my LFS

Back