Blue tang still has white spot after copper treatment

jeejiaren

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been quarantining the blue tang for 1 month but somehow the blue tang still has white spot but other fish don’t. The quarantine tank copper ppm is about 0.25 which was slightly higher than the recommended dose and I'm using the medtec copper. The white spots on the blue tang came back 2 days ago and before it has none. I did not add any new fish to the quarantine tank recently. Besides, the blue tang did not scratch at all while having the white spots.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hearing stories like this is why I do TTM instead. You can try TTM as it will get rid of ich.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been quarantining the blue tang for 1 month but somehow the blue tang still has white spot but other fish don’t. The quarantine tank copper ppm is about 0.25 which was slightly higher than the recommended dose and I'm using the medtec copper. The white spots on the blue tang came back 2 days ago and before it has none. I did not add any new fish to the quarantine tank recently. Besides, the blue tang did not scratch at all while having the white spots.
Can you post a picture of the fish taken under white light? How long was the tang under full copper? I saw online that Medtec copper is citric acid buffered copper and therefore it is very tricky to use. You need to accurately measure it twice a day and redose to bring the level up to 0.20 for a total of 14 days. I will sometimes go for 14 days after the last spots were seen. Personally, I haven't used citric acid copper solutions in over a decade, too tricky to use!

Jay

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jeejiaren

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a picture of the fish taken under white light? How long was the tang under full copper? I saw online that Medtec copper is citric acid buffered copper and therefore it is very tricky to use. You need to accurately measure it twice a day and redose to bring the level up to 0.20 for a total of 14 days. I will sometimes go for 14 days after the last spots were seen. Personally, I haven't used citric acid copper solutions in over a decade, too tricky to use!

Jay

OP
OP
J

jeejiaren

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The picture of the blue tang

Attachments

• 2FE16064-B49F-4981-92BC-C0BD91D4A601.png
    2FE16064-B49F-4981-92BC-C0BD91D4A601.png
    769.4 KB · Views: 156

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TTM = Tank transfer Method It' requires you to transfer the fish from one tank to the next to stay ahead of the Ick Process. It works but tends to require two of everything. It can be done with 5G buckets BTW.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TTM = Tank transfer Method It' requires you to transfer the fish from one tank to the next to stay ahead of the Ick Process. It works but tends to require two of everything. It can be done with 5G buckets BTW.
I personally feel 5g buckets are too small. I used 10g tanks, filled 3/4 of the way.

OP
OP
J

jeejiaren

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh thanks for the explanation

aquaskilz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few questions: What are you using to test the amount of copper you using? What is the set up of your quarantine tank including substrate, gallons and filtration?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back