Blue tang turning to the dark side?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of posts here.

Blue tangs (assuming P. hepatus) can be strange fish. Ive seen odd behavior from them, especially if it's not a huge tank. What is the tank size?

Lots of food is a good idea. Keep in mind that this specific tang is a planktivore, unlike its relatives. Mysis is great. Maybe an auto feeder with pellets several times a day, and constant.

I had a Kole that would not quit eating my lps. I would bet that you will have to trade the fish off. Good luck.

Bigzman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of posts here.

Blue tangs (assuming P. hepatus) can be strange fish. Ive seen odd behavior from them, especially if it's not a huge tank. What is the tank size?

Lots of food is a good idea. Keep in mind that this specific tang is a planktivore, unlike its relatives. Mysis is great. Maybe an auto feeder with pellets several times a day, and constant.

I had a Kole that would not quit eating my lps. I would bet that you will have to trade the fish off. Good luck.

Evil Tang resides in a 330 gallon tank. He is fed four times a day with pellets and twice a day with mysid with every day nori feedings. And he still likes to destroy Coral and eat zoa.

Old Man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your fish look like they are getting enough to eat, but if you would like to try a last ditch effort before trading him off, mount several clips of nori on different areas of the glass and keep them filled 24 hours a day for a few days. Also soak mysis in garlic before feeding and overfeed it for that same period. Some tangs get to be little pigs just like some people. If it works, try just keeping at least two clips filled at all times. If it doesn’t work, the problem may be caused by another fish and in that case one of them will have to go.

OP
OP
noahreefer

noahreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after considering my options I decided to move the torch that he was snacking on to another tank and hope that he did not eat any other coral. So far he is being a well behaved citizen (even though there are other torches in the tank) and after he seemed to take a break from the nori that I was feeding daily he is back to eating the nori with gusto. Hopefully he will not decided to taste anything else or he will get the boot. I wouldn’t be happy because he was probably my favorite fish in my 200

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back