Blue Tang with purple / dark spot on face

Raphael Dalmeida

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Today I've seen a dark blue or purple spot at the face of my blue Tang, do you know what it could be?

I'm aware he has lateral line erosion (as I've got him already with it). He is currently healthy and eating and cruising around fine. Photo below, dark spot near the mouth as you can see.

I do have a small bubbletip anemone in the tank, other inhabitants are, mimic tang, 2 Gunther's wrasse, 1 laboutei wrasse, 2 clown fish, 1 Valentino puffer, 1 blue assessor and 1 dottyback.

Any idea what could be ? Could be the anemone or perhaps it bumped on some rock?

IMG_20221225_164322.jpg

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't really speak on terms of disease. But it does appear that the fish does not have a full belly. This could be attributed to a simple lack of food, or internal parasites which are depleting him from his nutrition.

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be wrong but it appears that there is a slight interruption in the circumference of the fish's belly

OP
OP
Raphael Dalmeida

Raphael Dalmeida

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears his belly is a little bit recessed. Are you sure he is getting enough nutrition?
I've been feeding the tank a bit more sparingly lately. I will make sure to target feed him some more, i also leave a nori sheet 3 times per week for the tangs.

Though I'm still not sure about this spot on his face.

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest that you alleviate nutrients however you must and make sure the fish gets plenty of food

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After that I would rely on members who know much more about treatment than I do. But for the time being I would say that fish needs a lot of nutrition

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the belly is recessed or excessively swollen there is an internal problem

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When we look at a starving child and we see a bulging belly it is not a sign of good health

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the other hand, when we see a recessed belly that is not a good sign of health either.

pshootr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can search for "humble fish" and get some very acute information regarding the best approach for eliminating disease.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Today I've seen a dark blue or purple spot at the face of my blue Tang, do you know what it could be?

I'm aware he has lateral line erosion (as I've got him already with it). He is currently healthy and eating and cruising around fine. Photo below, dark spot near the mouth as you can see.

I do have a small bubbletip anemone in the tank, other inhabitants are, mimic tang, 2 Gunther's wrasse, 1 laboutei wrasse, 2 clown fish, 1 Valentino puffer, 1 blue assessor and 1 dottyback.

Any idea what could be ? Could be the anemone or perhaps it bumped on some rock?

IMG_20221225_164322.jpg

Can you post a clearer picture?
Is the lesion on just the one side?
Is the fish showing any other symptoms?
This fish isn't thin, so don't worry about that.

At this point, I wonder if it developed a slight infection to a HLLE lesion?

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Fish is far from thin and actually looks good other than a little HLLE showing. The area of concern is generally a little darker on these tangs but not this pronounced as shown below.
What foods are you feeding and what is your nitrate and ph levels?

1671982219196.png

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been feeding the tank a bit more sparingly lately. I will make sure to target feed him some more, i also leave a nori sheet 3 times per week for the tangs.

Though I'm still not sure about this spot on his face.
Feed tangs seaweed daily. Nori is okay, but be sure it is sun-dried or air-dried, not heated. Several packaged algae are available. Feed a variety, but feed daily. ;)

OP
OP
Raphael Dalmeida

Raphael Dalmeida

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, the marking on his face just disappeared today.

He is eating and acting normal. Thanks for all your input.

I will do a water test just in case. My nitrates have been a bit on the higher side this month probably 40ppm.

Regarding food I usually feed 3x nori (algae sheet) per week, frozen mysis soaked on vitachem, ocean nutrition pellets and flakes once in a while, small pieces of squid as well once in a while.

I will get back to putting the algae sheet all day, i was thinking of getting some live macroalgae on main tank so he can graze as much as he wants.

Anyway thanks for your help!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back