Blue Tang with Swollen Fins

Tommy29486

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All,
I'm new blue hippo tang owner. I just noticed this morning that its fins are swollen. Any ideas why? I have searched the internet and I have not been able to find any pics or info on the possible cause. My water chemistry is: Ammonia - 0ppm, nitrate - 0ppm, nitrite - 0ppm. Any thoughts and or suggestions?
Thanks Tommy

20200712_104049.jpg 20200712_104051.jpg

OP
OP
T

Tommy29486

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I've been treating it for ICH with Herbtana. I read its pretty common with blue tangs. Its gotten better and it seems that we are on the tail end of the disease. I just noticed the fins this morning. The fish is still swimming and eating. I just don't know what caused the fin issue.

OP
OP
T

Tommy29486

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The system has been up for 2 years. I just bought the tang from my LFS. It has ICH now. None of my other fish are showing any issues Not sure what to do about the fins. Im not worried right now about the tank as I will not be adding new fish for a while. Any thoughts on what is causing thr fins to balloon like that?

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to purchase a blue tang but very weary of the ich issues that appear to be so prevalent with certain tangs. Question for you - did your LFS quarantine the fish for 30+ days with remedial medication before offering it for sale? If not, did you?

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i do not believe any LFS can correctly Quarantine fish, as they always have new fish coming in.
This is where you are going to find truly quarantined fish

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hey op. I’d read up in the ich threads. Herbtana isn’t going to cure your fish. The ich lifecycle makes it appear like it’s gone but it’ll be back. Now whether you decide to try and manage it or solve it is up to you. But that’s a ton of ich on the fish. Could be velvet. I’d at least do a fw dip.

no clue on the fins though.

Arabyps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i do not believe any LFS can correctly Quarantine fish, as they always have new fish coming in.
This is where you are going to find truly quarantined fish
You may be right or not. But you may also get quarantined fish here as well:

(1) TSM Aquatics: From tsnaquatics.com "We don't take the responsibility for the care our live animals lightly! We have made significant investments into infrastructure and staff to assure that we have that absolute best fish or coral available to introduce into your aquarium. After arriving in our facilities, all fish must undergo a 30 day quarantining process before they will enter our sales systems. The fish are thoroughly examined for any known health problems with that species, we look for any signs of disease, and even take scrapes that are examined under microscope by our biologists. We assure a healthy eating fish that you will enjoy in your home aquarium."

(2) Divers Den. https://www.liveaquaria.com/general/general.cfm?general_pagesid=425

OP
OP
T

Tommy29486

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to purchase a blue tang but very weary of the ich issues that appear to be so prevalent with certain tangs. Question for you - did your LFS quarantine the fish for 30+ days with remedial medication before offering it for sale? If not, did you?
Unfortunately, I did not. I've learned my lesson though

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back