Blue throat trigger alive but laying down, Tang swimming vertically

Dylanischillin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a new trigger yesterday and was fine all day then woke up this morning and found him between rocks laying down his fins are moving and is still alive but not vertical at all. The tang situation is he’s very lively but swimming vertically like he’s stressed I’ve had the tang for 3 days was very active first 2 days and very active and ate well. He’s still active just swimming vertically and not eating. Any help and remedies would be appreciated Thanks!

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a new trigger yesterday and was fine all day then woke up this morning and found him between rocks laying down his fins are moving and is still alive but not vertical at all. The tang situation is he’s very lively but swimming vertically like he’s stressed I’ve had the tang for 3 days was very active first 2 days and very active and ate well. He’s still active just swimming vertically and not eating. Any help and remedies would be appreciated Thanks!
Need tank parameters, tank size, and other information of your tank. Is it breathing fast or slow? Pictures or videos would help

OP
OP
D

Dylanischillin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need tank parameters, tank size, and other information of your tank. Is it breathing fast or slow? Pictures or videos would help
Tank size is 60 gallon zero ammonia and phosphate 1.025-1.026 salinity temperature 79 degrees. Tang breathing fast trigger normal breathing
37A56435-E998-4F27-A330-14F061C7674B.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7586.MOV
    18.8 MB
OP
OP
D

Dylanischillin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the tank been set up?
How is surface agitation?
Set up for 2 years got another larger aquarium and that’s going good this one is my introduction tank before moving these fish to bigger tank with bigger fish
How long has the tank been set up?
How is surface agitation?
surface agitation is good

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

More background information is needed. A short video also helps, I can judge respiration rates from that. Many people find that making a YouTube link is the easiest way to share a video. This post outlines how to post a problem report:

Jay

OP
OP
D

Dylanischillin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

More background information is needed. A short video also helps, I can judge respiration rates from that. Many people find that making a YouTube link is the easiest way to share a video. This post outlines how to post a problem report:

Jay

OP
OP
D

Dylanischillin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s video of trigger I will try the tang video soon but it hiding right now and don’t want to cause chaos to it more so I’ll wait til it comes out

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s video of trigger I will try the tang video soon but it hiding right now and don’t want to cause chaos to it more so I’ll wait til it comes out

REALLY tough to see much of anything at that angle. I did get a breath glimpse of its gills and it doesn't seem to be breathing rapidly, so that rules a few things out (various gills diseases).

Jay

OP
OP
D

Dylanischillin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah its very tough to see especially where he’s at I don’t wanna move him just in case it will make it worse . Hopefully he will move at little soon he does move sometimes

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sounds like something upset them possibly leached from rock and sent nitrates to an elevated reading
It would not hurt to do a 15-20% water change. Agree breathing not at high rate and

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody in your system that is mean to newcomers.
Result of an attack?
New entry, good day one, bad day two…. always makes me think dispute!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
How would you recommend doing that? Will it stress them out more ?
Assuming you have not yet done a water change, you will either siphon out water with aquarium siphon and replenish what you took out with newly mixed water the same salinity and temperature as display tank. Other option to to use a CLEAN large cup and scoop out several gallons of water and replace it.
Is this a New or newer tank ?
If so, these are the last fish I would introduce to a new tank that is subject to chemistry changes and spikes until well cycled.

OP
OP
D

Dylanischillin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming you have not yet done a water change, you will either siphon out water with aquarium siphon and replenish what you took out with newly mixed water the same salinity and temperature as display tank. Other option to to use a CLEAN large cup and scoop out several gallons of water and replace it.
Is this a New or newer tank ?
If so, these are the last fish I would introduce to a new tank that is subject to chemistry changes and spikes until well cycled.
Haven’t done a water change with fish in it only without and it’s a 3 year old tank

OP
OP
D

Dylanischillin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody in your system that is mean to newcomers.
Result of an attack?
New entry, good day one, bad day two…. always makes me think dispute!
The tang is the only one I suspect might be the bully especially since I just added the trigger yesterday and the tang 3 days ago. The eel is too small still but I haven’t seen him be aggressive other than my 30$ cleaner shrimp he ate

OP
OP
D

Dylanischillin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tang is the only one I suspect might be the bully especially since I just added the trigger yesterday and the tang 3 days ago. The eel is too small still but I haven’t seen him be aggressive other than my 30$ cleaner shrimp he ate
Also might not be coincidence that the tang started having problems as well after last night when the trigger got introduced. When the tank lights are off they might have fought

Back