Blue Throat Trigger Female turned to Male!

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Has this happened to anyone else? So I bought a pair of Bluethroat Triggers from TSA when I was in Orlando in April. By anyone's account, they looked everything like a male and female pair. The first video is them in my quarantine observation tank where I had them for about 3 weeks. They are very healthy as far as I can see. I put them in my 120 display and they have been getting along great, even sleeping in the same cave! About 2 weeks ago I noticed that the smaller female was starting to get a little yellow on the fins. This week she started to show a little blue on her chin. The second video is them today! Is this normal for them to change sex? Do you think they can both get along in a 120 now that they are both male?

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump! Sorry I have a niger. But Im curious because to my knowledge those triggers cant change gender so this is interesting

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not an expert but I have read that immature males are often incorrectly sexed and sold as females. I've also seen posts that say males colors can fade around dominant males to avoid aggression. I only have one male, no experience with females.

OP
OP
fishybizzness

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm figuring that it was probably misidentified, of no fault of tsa. It kinda sucks because I really wanted a pair so they could one day show courting behavior even if they didn't spawn. I'm lucky so far as they are getting along so far. I hope it continues

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back