Blue throat trigger odd lump on cheek

Ciwyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I noticed this odd lump on the cheek of my blue throat trigger. He seems to be behaving normal for now. Still very active.

I am wondering what it could possibly be? Then of course the next thing would be how do I treat it once I figure out what it is?

Here are two photos I snapped. If they aren't detailed enough I can try and get a better one.

IMG_20201119_124039.jpg IMG_20201119_124041.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, a clearer/closer picture would really help. Also, click on the link below my name here, it offers tips on how best to give us background information about fish problems.

Thanks,

Jay

OP
OP
C

Ciwyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry I don't see the link. I'm reading this on my phone so that may have something to do with it.

A clear pic of a trigger is going to be a trick with my photography skills. Fortunately the guy is still quite active.

Jib

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry I don't see the link. I'm reading this on my phone so that may have something to do with it.

A clear pic of a trigger is going to be a trick with my photography skills. Fortunately the guy is still quite active.

Turn your phone sideways, you’ll see the link.

OP
OP
C

Ciwyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found it. Here is the pertinent information I have:

Parameters:
Tank type: Reef
Size: 300 gal
Filtration: biological and skimmer
Lighting: LED/T5
Established: 2 years

Water quality:
Temp: 76.6
pH: not sure
Salinity: 1.025
no ammonia
no nitrite
high nitrate 60-80ppm
phosphate: .08ppm
no copper

no fish lost to this
inverts look fine
I'll get a precise respiration later. It does not appear out of the ordinary though
Trigger is still eating aggressively
no remidies because I'm not sure what it is

Hopefully these photos show the lump a bit better

IMG_20201121_150004.jpg IMG_20201121_145931.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my first thought - triggers have really tough skin. This could be an abcess. Normally, these break through the fish's skin and usually heal over (like a boil does with people). However, I saw a couple of cases recently, where the skin held the abcess in place until the infection just sort of blew up....ugly description, I know.

A veterinarian would use a needle and syringe and aspirate the abcess, both to reduce the amount of bacteria, but also to relieve the pressure and confirm that it is indeed an abscess, and not a growth or tumor. That probably isn't an option for you.

Medicated food would be something you could try. Here is a link to an article I posted regarding that: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/proper-dosing-of-medicated-foods.780/

Jay

OP
OP
C

Ciwyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is my first thought - triggers have really tough skin. This could be an abcess. Normally, these break through the fish's skin and usually heal over (like a boil does with people). However, I saw a couple of cases recently, where the skin held the abcess in place until the infection just sort of blew up....ugly description, I know.

A veterinarian would use a needle and syringe and aspirate the abcess, both to reduce the amount of bacteria, but also to relieve the pressure and confirm that it is indeed an abscess, and not a growth or tumor. That probably isn't an option for you.

Medicated food would be something you could try. Here is a link to an article I posted regarding that: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/proper-dosing-of-medicated-foods.780/

Jay
So it sounds like something to keep an eye on but will probably end up healing?

Thanks for the quick response

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Difficult to say - if the abscess keeps growing, you *might* need to rupture it to drain it, but that carries quite a bit of risk, and then you would need to treat with antibiotics. If the abscess walls itself off, the fish will be able to reduce it on its own.

Jay

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back