Blue Throat Trigger Question

Josh Hobgood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. I hope everyone is loving their tanks! I have a question about Blue Throat Triggers. I purchased a pair (male/female) that had been QTd and placed them in my 200 gallon tank. Both have been eating although the one that died was definitely more shy than the other. I am puzzled as to what happened. Is it possible I had two males instead? The one that died definitely had yellow in his fins and seemed to have a faint blue jaw. Looking at the other one today it looks like he has a faint blue jaw but fins not colored up yellow. Was something bullying him? (I didn't see this happen and I watch the tank several times throughout the day). He actually ate good this morning. Came home and he was floating. Just trying to make sure I don't make the same mistake again in the future. Any help is appreciated. Thank you all!

Levels:
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 9.8
Phosphate .12
Alk 9
Calcium 438
Magnesium 1340
Salinity 1.026 sg (35 ppt)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were its fins ripped?
How long had it been in your tank before it died?
Did you see if it was breathing fast/differently before it died?
Do you know what quarantine process was used on them?

Jay

OP
OP
Josh Hobgood

Josh Hobgood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Jay! I went a looked at him closely. it did appear that one fin was ripped or torn. 10 days total in the tank. It did not appear to be breathing heavy.

Procedure For Quarantined Fish​

• After receiving fish, they are visually checked by Dr.Reef for any visible issues. Temperature is matched by floating the bags for 30 min.
    Most wholesalers send us fish at Salinity 1.018 and temp of 80F, so we keep our QT tanks at Salinity 1.018 and temp at 80F. Over time we will bring the salinity upto 1.021-1.023 range.

• Please expect Salinity of 1.023-1.024 for fish. (reduces stress and suppresses ammonia during shipping)

• Fish go straight into quarantine tanks with either Chloroquine Phosphate or Copper power.

• Starting doses are: CP at 20 mg/gal and Copper at 1ppm

• After 24 hrs, we increase the doses to their final levels, CP at 40 mg/gal or Copper at 1.75-2.00 ppm

• Fish stay in these levels for 2 weeks.

• After 14 days we move them to observation tanks.

• In observation, We administer Prazipro and Metro to get rid of internal parasites. We repeat treatment every 3 to 5 days.

• Meanwhile we feed Fish Bendazole along with Metronidazole, mixed in food to rid Uronema and internal parasites.

• At 4-6 weeks fish are ready to ship. If customers likes us to keep them in observation little longer, we can, please let us know.

• Feeding: We feed 2 times a day. All fish are fed a 50/50 mixture of frozen Mysis & frozen brine. In some cases frozen blood worms.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O.K., that's not the exact process I use, but it covers most bases.

In re-reading your post - you mentioned that the fish was found floating. That is odd for a freshly dead fish. Was it just drifting at the surface, or was part of its body out of the water? What I'm driving at is that most freshly dead fish sink. After they've been dead awhile (24 hours or so) decomposition gasses build up and they float.

Jay

OP
OP
Josh Hobgood

Josh Hobgood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we was caught in between the rocks. I guess when I netted him the current picked him up or something. He ate this morning which is the odd thing to me. I'll post pictures soon.

OP
OP
Josh Hobgood

Josh Hobgood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I've posted the pics. I also included pics on the one who is still alive.

Attachments

• tempImage4gqeOX.png
    tempImage4gqeOX.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 36
  • tempImagePYqCYU.png
    tempImagePYqCYU.png
    1 MB · Views: 42
  • tempImage2ZPpDY.png
    tempImage2ZPpDY.png
    922.7 KB · Views: 34

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I've posted the pics. I also included pics on the one who is still alive.

Just a couple of split fin rays, I think you can rule out aggression from the male.

jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back