Blue vs white light for fish and coral

reefjim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interested in peoples opinions,

i understand blue light is better for coral, but do you need white light for the fish?

I have Just changed my schedule to

8-10 blue
10-6 white and blue
6-8 blue

is this suitable for fish and coral (40w led Mari glow panel equivalent to 6 x 39w t5 lights

currently have
BTA
Hammers
Elegance
Two clowns
Abalone
Snails (varying)
Associated hitchhikers (sea cucumber, worms etc….)

I understand I will need a better lighting system soon, but this seems to be fine for softies and lps from my research.

thoughts on timing for fish as well as coral health?

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is the study that blue light is better for coral? I will need to read this before replying
I don’t know about “better” but blue spectrums of light target the chlorophyll types our corals zooxanthellae utilize, and some red, with the middle (yellow/green) being used the least.

Full spectrum “white light” or fluorescent bulbs have broader ranges, but in the case of LEDs, blue is generally what is going to benefit corals the most. There are exceptions though, both in how corals may adapt and change color, or how we see them, etc..

9B02E667-747A-4734-9F14-30813EA5C2FB.png

OP
OP
reefjim

reefjim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where is the study that blue light is better for coral? I will need to read this before replying.
Please find an interesting article by Angel Cagarra, which discusses the benefits of blue light spectrums on corals. Made for an informative read.

OP
OP
reefjim

reefjim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know about “better” but blue spectrums of light target the chlorophyll types our corals zooxanthellae utilize, and some red, with the middle (yellow/green) being used the least.

Full spectrum “white light” or fluorescent bulbs have broader ranges, but in the case of LEDs, blue is generally what is going to benefit corals the most. There are exceptions though, both in how corals may adapt and change color, or how we see them, etc..

9B02E667-747A-4734-9F14-30813EA5C2FB.png
So I’m already gathering there is no holy grail to beat light practice?

instead it’s based on my tank and lighting ect…

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back