Boil notice and Ro/di water

Backer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
our public water utility company has issued a boil water notice for our area. I have about 2 gallons of Ro/di water left and need to produce some more. I am wondering if iit safe to use the water to produce Ro/Di water for my reef tank. I have read conflicting statements if it is safe to do so. Just curious as I would hate to add contaminated water to my system. Any help would be appreciated.

cumbeje

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RODI will remove everything that you need too for it to be safe to add to tank. That is the purpose of RODI.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think it will be ok but I’m paranoid about my water so I’d do some checking just so I could sleep.
Which RoDi unit? Mine has a built in tds meter. As long as it's zero there's no problem at all.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It most likely needs to be boiled because of the likelihood of bacteria. They can't actually make the claim, but RO removes bacteria. So if it was me, I'd be making water right now. :cool:

jstephens24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which RoDi unit? Mine has a built in tds meter. As long as it's zero there's no problem at all.

good point. im in same boat as OP. I just dont think my water pressure is high enough yet. normally 60 range but I will have to check when I get home. Well guess I would still have to wait another day or 2 for weather to get a little warmer

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the only issue you will have is burning thru your cartridges and resin quicker. Hopefully, u have a tds meter.

OP
OP
B

Backer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a TDS meter so I can confirm no desolved solids. From what I have been reading is that the bacteria can still get thru, but other sites have said the RO membrane will catch it. They do state if you have a uv sterilizer it will kill the bacteria, but unfortunately I do not have one currently. I am just not sure if the bacteria does get thru is it harmful to the tank inhabitants?

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a TDS meter so I can confirm no desolved solids. From what I have been reading is that the bacteria can still get thru, but other sites have said the RO membrane will catch it. They do state if you have a uv sterilizer it will kill the bacteria, but unfortunately I do not have one currently. I am just not sure if the bacteria does get thru is it harmful to the tank inhabitants?

If things get serious enough, hopefully u have access to some distilled water.

OP
OP
B

Backer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Texas, so most of the store are limited in supply so will assume water and distilled will be limited. My water pressure is back up to over 40 psi so should be able to make water. Did test for chlorine in the water source and none appears to be present. I am assuming I can make the ro/di water then boil it to remove any bacteria just to be safe. any thoughts on that?

a hill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think everyone here is forgetting that the water is then being mixed with salt.

That should kill anything left.
Anything else left, you’ve already dumped it in your tank during each water change.

I probably would be drinking the water without boiling if really thirsty.

Much in the hobby once was on a cargo flight in a box bouncing around for a day or two before being opened, they will survive a touch of salmonella.

Don’t sweat the small stuff. Just keep an eye on your resin.

-Andrew

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 33.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back