Bonded clowns sick

Jeanet Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help! My bonded clowns are showing signs of sickness especially the small one. It looks like ick, but I don't think it is because it's more white patches than dots. Pictures attached. I have many invertebrates so I cannot treat inside the tank. I do have a quarantine tank but it's only 7 gallons and the bigger clown is a pretty big clown. I also do not know what to treat with. A pajama cardinal fish and a small goby showing no signs of sickness.

PXL_20201116_214310930.jpg PXL_20201116_214303351.MP.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20201116_214838031.mp4
    39.6 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quarantine tank is really your best/only option to treat these. Take a look at the link below on my signature line, it will direct you to a page of helpful information you can supply us to give us a better idea as to the history of the tank, etc. If you can, please provide additional background info, water quality, etc.

That all said, this looks like Brooklynella, a nasty protozoan disease that clownfish can get. How long have you had these clowns though? I see Brooklynella mostly in newly acquired fish, not long term captives.

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
For temporary relief, give these guys a freshwater same temperature as the tank
You will need to start these guys on a formalin bath using either general cure or ruby rally pro with GC being most effective and do this daily for 5 days or Quarantine with GC solution. Initially, give the clowns a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration, followed by continued treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank (QT). Naturally, the longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment, the more effective it will be at eliminating this disease.

OP
OP
Jeanet Lopez

Jeanet Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like brook to me too.
Thank you. I moved them to a quarantine tank and treated with Reef Rally Pro and the whites patches have disappeared, and they are back to their obnoxious clown ways

OP
OP
Jeanet Lopez

Jeanet Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A quarantine tank is really your best/only option to treat these. Take a look at the link below on my signature line, it will direct you to a page of helpful information you can supply us to give us a better idea as to the history of the tank, etc. If you can, please provide additional background info, water quality, etc.

That all said, this looks like Brooklynella, a nasty protozoan disease that clownfish can get. How long have you had these clowns though? I see Brooklynella mostly in newly acquired fish, not long term captives.

Jay
Thank you for your reply, Jay! I moved them to a quarantine tank and treated with Reef Rally Pro and they are back to normal. To answer your question, I've had these two for prob 6-7 years, so I don't know how they would have picked that up

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back