Books

dexterie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you please recommend me some nice books about fish and coral? There are so many titles on Amazon and TBD that I don't know what to choose...

Thank you :)

OP
OP
D

dexterie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want big books or little books? Pictures or words? How-to or catalog/reference style?

If you just want to see them all, I posted a thread for that a while back. :)

How long is your aquarium book collection?
Thanks!

I want something like... from the first steps to something more complex/complete (not necessarily in the same book); size, doesn't matter, but I guess it'll have to be bigger to be more complete; and a bit of everything. how to, being top priority right now.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to say it, but searching line you will find more information, videos then in books. I have found that by searching the internet one can get several views on a topic, R2R is accumulating a bunch of articles also.

Carl Rosleck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
D

dexterie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to say it, but searching line you will find more information, videos then in books. I have found that by searching the internet one can get several views on a topic, R2R is accumulating a bunch of articles also.

I know what you mean, but I still like the touch of a good book. I'm all in for digital supports, but I just can't give up on books now. For this situation, I think the internet works as an extra or complement. It's always good to have a little reference book, no matter the subject. :)

Thank you! I'll take a look :)
edit: ordered the 1st one :)

+ this one: https://www.bookdepository.com/Aqua...087470?ref=grid-view&qid=1501105665173&sr=1-1 (it seems to be good and had it on my "wish list" for a while)

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dexterie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Big_Macc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are good references.
b924096bbf1c5996a760ab82b5641cb3.jpg
35fc3ad5fb9fecf6fc25e58a937e9ab3.jpg

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No offense taken, but... :)

More ≠ Better where information is concerned.

I can't recommend the internet to folks starting out unless they also have a book or some kind of sane guidance FIRST.

The internet is full of good, bad and indifferent info....old and new, etc. Beginners really have no basis for sorting the wheat from the chaff or discerning what's most appropriate for their situation and what's not. That doesn't mean to ignore the internet, BTW. :) It means be prepared to filter "bee ess" from good info.....no beginner should expect to be able to do that.

IMO that phenomenon (beginners learning on the internet) is responsible for all the trouble-prone "ULNS" tanks out there where GFO and carbon dosing get put on a new tank right away "because that's how everyone is doing it and the ocean is that way too". Other things too....for example, there's no real explanation for all the new folks that still build tanks according to pre-powerhead days husbandry styles, and why do folks still slam their tanks with large numbers of new fish or corals at once? Old, stale ideas – even outright bad ones – just don't die if they sound good on the internet and other folks can be seen doing it – and everything is accompanied by a hi-res photo and tends to sound good on the internet when you're starting out.

On the other hand, I have books that are dated from the beginning of the last century all the way to current books from recent times......I'd recommend any of them as being better than none of them.

No book contains more out of date information than the internet....and any of them make sense from cover to cover and will leave you in a place where you can keep a healthy tank and start learning in earnest on the internet. If you want you can look up the very first marine aquarium book from the 1800's.....it's also a great starting point.

Read something on paper first THEN start getting on the internet....IMO.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you guys are trying to get affiliate clicks, that's too many links to click and see em all folks.

Can you also post titles (or pics) please! :)

Please? :)

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't tell if some of these (or the links above) are duplicates since so many folks are posting anonymous links, but...

New Marine Aquarium by @Mike Paletta is a good beginner book.....fairly complete, yet small and inexpensive. I don't have this one, but I've sold an awful lot of them. :)

@Paul B recommends Straughn's book "The Salt Water Aquarium In The Home" and also has his own book "The Avant-Gard Aquarist" – I like both a lot.

@dexterie maybe you should photograph your bookstore's aquarium selection and let us pick from there! :)

OP
OP
D

dexterie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't tell if some of these (or the links above) are duplicates since so many folks are posting anonymous links, but...

New Marine Aquarium by @Mike Paletta is a good beginner book.....fairly complete, yet small and inexpensive. I don't have this one, but I've sold an awful lot of them. :)

@Paul B recommends Straughn's book "The Salt Water Aquarium In The Home" and also has his own book "The Avant-Gard Aquarist" – I like both a lot.

@dexterie maybe you should photograph your bookstore's aquarium selection and let us pick from there! :)

I will buy the books online. I am living in Belgium and I don't want to buy in French (or worse, in Dutch...*clueless*). And the English book offer isn't that big... So I just go to Amazon and to the Book Depository and start browsing. Problem is: there's so much offer I don't know what to get.
So, for now, I ordered The New Marine Aquarium, by Michael S. Paletta and Aquarium Corals: Selection, Husbandry and Natural History, by Eric Borneman.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good start! :) Love Borneman's book, foreword by Veron was very deep to me.....always wonder what happened to Borneman?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stuff happens....I'm betting that was a bad moment in time.....just curious what since then....that was many moons ago.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back