Boom Corals trip to Maui!

BoomCorals

www.boomcorals.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Just wanted to give heads up I won't be shipping the last week of January. I'm taking a short scuba diving vacation to Maui and won't be available to ship corals.

You're welcome to still put in an order, but shipping will be delayed until I return.

Thank you!
Quinn
scuba.jpg

OP
BoomCorals

BoomCorals

www.boomcorals.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Few days in and Maui is treating us pretty well. Thought you all would like to see some of what’s under the water here!

Some pictures are from a snorkel mile marker 14 north west side of Maui and others are a shore dive at Ulua Beach. I’m using a Nikon aw130 for the underwater shots. Lots of fish, not as many invertebrates as I was hoping. I’ve not seen this many turtles ever. We see at least five every time we’re in the water! They usually pay you no mind and continue on their way. Coral health is marginal and I’m a little disappointed but not surprised to see a lot of dead coral. Water temps are a cool 73. It’s pretty windy and cooler but overall weather is good. Hoping to make it out to Molokini crater later in the week if the wind and swell dies down.

tripdad

View Badges
Reaction score
Molokini used to be nice. The north shore of Mauii by Turtle Bay is interesting. The bay on Lanaii was pretty good years ago. Great memories. Thanks for sharing!

12gallonsofhex

View Badges
Reaction score
Few days in and Maui is treating us pretty well. Thought you all would like to see some of what’s under the water here!

Some pictures are from a snorkel mile marker 14 north west side of Maui and others are a shore dive at Ulua Beach. I’m using a Nikon aw130 for the underwater shots. Lots of fish, not as many invertebrates as I was hoping. I’ve not seen this many turtles ever. We see at least five every time we’re in the water! They usually pay you no mind and continue on their way. Coral health is marginal and I’m a little disappointed but not surprised to see a lot of dead coral. Water temps are a cool 73. It’s pretty windy and cooler but overall weather is good. Hoping to make it out to Molokini crater later in the week if the wind and swell dies down.

I am glad to see mile marker 14 looking better. We went after the floods last year and everything was covered. Did you check out Makena landing?

OP
BoomCorals

BoomCorals

www.boomcorals.com
View Badges
Reaction score
I am glad to see mile marker 14 looking better. We went after the floods last year and everything was covered. Did you check out Makena landing?
That’s good to hear. I wondered why there was so much dead coral. It did seem to be coming back, but far from healthy.

Yup also did a shore dive off Makena landing. So many turtles! Health was decent there but I’d say Ulua beach and Ahihi reserve looked the healthiest. Ahihi has LOTs of yellow tangs, unlike most other places. Sadly I found coral health at its worst on Molokini crater. I did see a bunch of nudibranches I’d never seen before.

Both of these are from Molokini

12gallonsofhex

View Badges
Reaction score
That’s good to hear. I wondered why there was so much dead coral. It did seem to be coming back, but far from healthy.

Yup also did a shore dive off Makena landing. So many turtles! Health was decent there but I’d say Ulua beach and Ahihi reserve looked the healthiest. Ahihi has LOTs of yellow tangs, unlike most other places. Sadly I found coral health at its worst on Molokini crater. I did see a bunch of nudibranches I’d never seen before.

Both of these are from Molokini

Yes, it's scary to see such a quick decline. We went 3 years ago for our honeymoon and the coral at all snorkeling spots looked pretty good. Last year the amount of die off was easy to compare. I hope it's not too late. I am hopeful that the single use plastic ban in countries like the UK and India and the sunscreen ban in Hi slow down this trend. I hope you enjoyed your trip. Can't wait to go back and have breakfast at Gazebos

OP
BoomCorals

BoomCorals

www.boomcorals.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Yes, it's scary to see such a quick decline. We went 3 years ago for our honeymoon and the coral at all snorkeling spots looked pretty good. Last year the amount of die off was easy to compare. I hope it's not too late. I am hopeful that the single use plastic ban in countries like the UK and India and the sunscreen ban in Hi slow down this trend. I hope you enjoyed your trip. Can't wait to go back and have breakfast at Gazebos
I agree. It’s sad to see, but I’m hopeful it can rebound if we can change what’s gone wrong. It’s hard to believe suncreen did all that damage but I’m sure it plays a part. I saw a lot of runoff still going right into the ocean. I can’t imagine that’s good for it either.

It was a good trip, and I was happy to get my ocean fix for a little while anyway.

dbraun15

View Badges
Reaction score
Great pics...as said it's a shame that the reefs are on decline...I do like that yellow/orange macro algae! Never seen that before.

JoannaLola

View Badges
Reaction score
Again, very beautiful pictures! My dream is to go to Southern Line Islands...The Line Islands... The reefs have been overfished, bleached... There are algae growing because the herbivores are gone, but Line Islands are still pristine... Did you dive there too??

OP
BoomCorals

BoomCorals

www.boomcorals.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Again, very beautiful pictures! My dream is to go to Southern Line Islands...The Line Islands... The reefs have been overfished, bleached... There are algae growing because the herbivores are gone, but Line Islands are still pristine... Did you dive there too??
Thank you!

I haven’t dove the line islands but after doing a quick google search sign me up!
I want to dive so many places! But finding time seems to be the toughest part. I chose Maui because it wasn’t super far and could be done pretty easy in a week vaca. I’ve been dreaming of diving the Philippines especially with whale sharks, but I feel like if I fly that far I need to stay a while.

Here’s a video I took with my GoPro from a week diving Raja Ampat Indonesia 6 years ago, that was honestly one of the highlights of my life!

Hemmdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Thank you!

I haven’t dove the line islands but after doing a quick google search sign me up!
I want to dive so many places! But finding time seems to be the toughest part. I chose Maui because it wasn’t super far and could be done pretty easy in a week vaca. I’ve been dreaming of diving the Philippines especially with whale sharks, but I feel like if I fly that far I need to stay a while.

Here’s a video I took with my GoPro from a week diving Raja Ampat Indonesia 6 years ago, that was honestly one of the highlights of my life!

Wow that’s amazing! Where do you recommend diving in Maui? I was there a few months ago but I’m already going back in May for a week! I have NAUI adv w/wrecks & nitrox

OP
BoomCorals

BoomCorals

www.boomcorals.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Wow that’s amazing! Where do you recommend diving in Maui? I was there a few months ago but I’m already going back in May for a week! I have NAUI adv w/wrecks & nitrox
I heard the back wall of Molokini is better and deeper. Lanai cathedrals looked cool but I didn’t have time to checkout. For a chill shore dive, I liked Ahihi reserve, Ulua Beach and Makena Landing.

Bouncingsoul39

View Badges
Reaction score
Kahekili beach park, right by the Westin at the north west part of the island has a huge, incredibly healthy reef and is a very popular dive spot. My wife and I snorkeled their for hours. Tons of healthy corals and a large variety of fish species. Excellent viz when we there.

JoannaLola

View Badges
Reaction score
Thank you!

I’m going next year to Philippines for 3 weeks! Last year I went to Thailand and boy it was amazing, but way to many people... Did Maya beach from the movie “The Beach” and couldn’t put a towel on the sand:((( So many people... They close the place few weeks ago for few years as they say the reef and the beach needs to recover!!! It was a secret few years ago, but because of the movie with Leo Dicaprio everyone went there...
Gorgeous video!!! Thank you for shearing it with us!

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
I’m going next year to Philippines for 3 weeks! Last year I went to Thailand and boy it was amazing, but way to many people... Did Maya beach from the movie “The Beach” and couldn’t put a towel on the sand:((( So many people... They close the place few weeks ago for few years as they say the reef and the beach needs to recover!!! It was a secret few years ago, but because of the movie with Leo Dicaprio everyone went there...
Gorgeous video!!! Thank you for shearing it with us!
I was just in the Philippines, didn’t get a chance to dive though. I also love that movie.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors