Boomer's IM 20G Nano

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Monthly update: Algae will not go away! AGH

Can't get rid of this stuff in the sand. Nitrates were up to around 15ppm so I did a water change. I'll stir the sand prior to a change and it still comes back. Does anyone know what I'm dealing with? The tank is almost a year now and I'm still fighting with this stuff.

Just turned the lights off but that seems to only be a temporary solution. The tank does not get hit by any sunlight and the schedule only has lights on for 6 hours with 1-hour ramp on each end.

I have zero corals because I'm afraid to invest in them given the current situation. Look forward to hearing someone's advice and expertise!

THANK YOU!

IMG_0258.JPG
IMG_0259.JPG
IMG_0260.JPG
IMG_0261.JPG
Could it be chrysophytes? That’s just a guess, but maybe look at some pictures and see if that could be it.

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it figured out thanks to my dude @Blue Demp ! Turns out, the RODI unit was producing water with a TDS of around 71ppm. (That's bad...)

I replaced every filter on the unit and re-measured, now it's producing 0ppm TDS. That would explain the algae outbreak after every water change.

I've had the tank blacked out for 4 days, going on 5 and the sand is back to being beautifully white again. Not going to rush things, but I'll say that I'm thrilled to have figured out what seems to be my issue. I'll post pictures after the blackout is done tomorrow.

reef-rc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it figured out thanks to my dude @Blue Demp ! Turns out, the RODI unit was producing water with a TDS of around 71ppm. (That's bad...)

I replaced every filter on the unit and re-measured, now it's producing 0ppm TDS. That would explain the algae outbreak after every water change.

I've had the tank blacked out for 4 days, going on 5 and the sand is back to being beautifully white again. Not going to rush things, but I'll say that I'm thrilled to have figured out what seems to be my issue. I'll post pictures after the blackout is done tomorrow.
Great news.

I had thought back in mid-September you had mentioned you would be replacing all those filter in your next routine.

yea - I have a TDS monitor on mine and do check that regularly. Sediment filter is replaced most in my system. I also test for clorimeane to help with when to replace carbon. the water in my area these days tend to deplete the DI Ions more that it has in the past so that cost has also gone up within the last several years.

Good to see your heading back on track.

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took @haitian_reefer advice and picked up the @Bulk Reef Supply 5 Stage RODI unit and it's been a game-changer. 0 TDS reading on all of the water I've filtered this week!

I also added some coral this past week.

Here's the list:
Candy Cane
GSP Mat
Orange Mushroom
Zoanthids - Rastas, Blowpops, Orange Explosions, Scrambled Eggs, Candy Apples & Sakura Sunrise

I did a Bayer dip followed by a ReVive dip because I don't have a QT. They are in the tank for 4 days now and everything seems to be open and happy! Attached a few pics I took with my iPhone.

Anyone have any tips with 3rd party camera apps to get better photos with an iPhone? I tried the white balance at 10,000k trick and it seemed to help a little. Any other tips would be great.

Check out some pics.

62826820863__86671F0E-97A6-4F07-A4DE-32280D36BF4D.JPG

(GSP - moved it to the center of the tank shortly after so it doesn't grow onto the side)
IMG_0569.JPG

IMG_0570.JPG

62826823952__AF4B0B0D-AC40-4E0D-9BD7-C2C59CC6DFF8.JPG

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coral I got above is doing fantastic. I added a few more pieces as well.

Added a Cristata, 2x dark orange mushrooms, some rainbow cloves and a big red/b lue monti.

Check out the pics and the FTS! Let me know what you think! Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone!

IMG_0919.JPG
IMG_0920.JPG
IMG_0921.JPG

IMG_0922.JPG

IMG_0923.JPG
IMG_0924.JPG

IMG_0925.JPG

IMG_0926.JPG
IMG_0927.JPG

IMG_0928.JPG
IMG_0929.JPG

IMG_0930.JPG

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good!!

Corals look nice and healthy (zoas maybe stretching a bit but heathy). Also beware of that monti it will grow like crazy and most will regret adding it to their main rock work.

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good!!

Corals look nice and healthy (zoas maybe stretching a bit but heathy). Also beware of that monti it will grow like crazy and most will regret adding it to their main rock work.
Thanks man. Yeah the zoas are stretching a bit. Just updated my lighting to pump a little more juice. AI Prime. What you think?

Also - with the monti - it's already on a separate rock. Should I just keep it way from the other one so it doesn't grow onto it? What do you think the growth will be like if I just leave it on the one rock?

IMG_0940.PNG
IMG_0935.PNG
IMG_0936.PNG
IMG_0937.PNG
IMG_0938.PNG
IMG_0939.PNG

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s an encrusting monti so it will grow onto the rocks and will be hard to take off but if there’s decent gaps between each rock you might be able to keep up with it. I have a friend with it in his tank and it’s literally 1/4th of his redsea 750 and he hates the thing now. It’s encroaching on acros and not letting them base out. He’s getting rid of the whole rock soon.

As for the light I believe each system is different but BRS video on the AI 16hd is a good one to get a general feel for the light.

I have my two lights set to their 90% and 75% intensity one over sps and one over lps (respectively). I’ve seen good growth before I caught Dino’s. Many people said that was too much light but tank was looking good so I kept with it.

Full tank shot before dinos
62F9D5A9-0F9C-4DA2-A172-110D54407343.jpeg

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy New Year R2R! Couple of updated photos for you from the new year. I have adjusted my lighting and increased it a bit more to see if some of those zoas stop reaching so much.

Only issue I've run into now isn't even with the tank ha ha. My RODI adapter on my bathroom sink seems to cause backpressure on the water line leading it to leak underneath where the MUR-LOK connections are. I can't seem to figure it out. Right now when I make water, I put a bucket underneath to catch the leak. Might have to have a plumber come set something up for me. Overall though, not a bad problem when the tank is doing fantastic.

Sticking to once a week water changes which seems to be complimenting things very well. Every Sunday I do about 5 gal (20%) of the 20 gallon. Corals are happy, fish and shrimp are happy!

Would love to hear from you all and again, Happy New Year!

IMG_1131.JPG
IMG_1132.JPG
IMG_1133.JPG

IMG_1134.JPG

IMG_1135.JPG

IMG_1136.JPG
IMG_1137.JPG

IMG_1138.JPG

IMG_1139.JPG

IMG_1140.JPG

IMG_1141.JPG

IMG_1142.JPG

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good!

Happy mew years to you as well! Have you tried pushing the RO tubing into the fitting to make it tight again? I had mine pop out on a few occasions myself.

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good!

Happy mew years to you as well! Have you tried pushing the RO tubing into the fitting to make it tight again? I had mine pop out on a few occasions myself.
Thanks!

I have yeah - I'll give it another try this weekend and see. I have to make 10 gallons for ATO and Water Change anyways so might as well take the sink apart ha ha.

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone ID? Nothing has changed in the tank and here we are. Doesn’t look slimy like cyano. No bubbles or strings like dinos. Even after stir of sand it comes back. Happened after another weekly water change. 0TDS. 8ppm nitrate, .03 phosphate.

Do I need to dirty up the water a bit?

8748AE62-B595-4E6E-A11D-F2DBD23ECAA8.jpeg

Attachments

• 0B8BECB7-302E-441A-AE32-FA0AF6672F21.jpeg
    0B8BECB7-302E-441A-AE32-FA0AF6672F21.jpeg
    322.6 KB · Views: 40

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back