OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want noticeable water movement through the over flows. Consider lowering the water level and or replacing the stock pump. You want a waterfall effect through the overflow gates. Increased water movement between display and back chambers will carry those surface proteins to the back filtration.:)

Going to reduce the water level today to see how that goes. Thank you for the advice!

Increase flow or maybe even just aim your powerhead more toward the surface. I haven’t had build up on my surface yet but constantly have particles suspended due to water movement or my female clown creating a dust storm in the sand. Or maybe angle your return nozzle toward the surface that’s how I have mine. Gives a nice ripple and my powerhead comes in and throws random flow around.

Also going to aim the return nozzle's more toward the top of the tank to see if that'll increase the flow. I may adjust the Nero 5 to push a little harder too! Appreciate the feedback :)

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got home from a business trip, the tank seems to have been running warmer than usual the last few days. I took temp of tank before I left and it was 80.1 degrees so I turned the heater down. I just got home and it seems to be higher at 81.1.

It's cold where I live and the house isn't super warm. I lowered the water level a bit, could that be it? Before I start adding any coral I wanted to make sure I have this sorted out.

Edit: I just turned off the light for a bit. The temp lowered to 80.3 overnight from 81.1. The heater hasn't been necessary at all. The house temp is roughly 67-68 degrees, so it's not hot in here. Not sure what's causing the rising temp.

Last edited:

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any submersed equipment can contribute to heat in the tank, so maybe the stock pump?

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any submersed equipment can contribute to heat in the tank, so maybe the stock pump?

I was able to get it down to 76.5 degrees the last 24 hours. I floated some ice cubes and noticed that the eheim heater wasn't calibrated properly. So I turned it down and have found the temp to settle just under 77 degrees now during the day. Super weird that it just spiked like that so I'm definitely going to keep an eye on it going forward.

Saturday Maintenance:
- Added clean up crew! Snails from @reefcleaners . Thanks John!
- Changed filter floss and added bioballs.
- Refilled ATO tank with RODI water. Going to make another 10 gallons of RODI for reserves.

Coming this week:
- New Zoanthids to start a garden on the lower right side of the tank. Let me know your thoughts and how you would place them. Would you remove them from the frag plugs? Put them in the substrate? On the rock?

Parameters:
Salinity - 1.025 d SG
Temp - 75.6 F
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Nitrate - 0 ppm
PH - 7.8
Alkalinity - 7.728 dKH

Full Tank Shot - looking crisp love it!
1.19.20-1.jpeg

1.19.20-2.jpeg

SliceGolfer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your heater submersed to the proper depth/water line? Curious why it is sticking out above the tank.

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! Get ready for some algae outbreak soon! Mine started about 4 weeks in but I also had a reading of nitrate and phosphates.
Hoping to avoid the algae! I have been very fortunate with no nitrate thus far!

Is your heater submersed to the proper depth/water line? Curious why it is sticking out above the tank.
It is - the bottom of the heater touches the bottom of the tank. Can't go any lower.

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30L AIO from IM that I love. I upgraded the stock pump to 2 of their DC pumps made for these tanks. I am planning on modifying the tank to add a sump soon so I will be getting rid of these because a larger pump is needed. If you are wanting to upgrade and would like to snag some lightly used/well maintained pumps from me, send a PM lol.

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to the LFS yesterday and picked up a (Peppermint) CORRECTION: Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp! I'll try and get some better pics but wanted to post and update!

Corals this weekend!

Peppermint-1.23.20-1.JPG
Peppermint-1.23.20-2.JPG

Last edited:

Acroporaguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run two similar tanks, 14Nuvo and 25Nuvo...

Be very careful using floss with the InTank media baskets, I run it temporarily after a water change but the InTank baskets are so perfectly sized for the Nuvo tank it could cause a backup and overflow the tank. It’s happened to me twice even with changing out filter floss every 36 hours.

I’ve found best practices is to use media basket in one overflow and a piece of equipment in the other overflow.

Best of luck!
Do you happen to use an ATO? I have 2 intank baskets for my nuvo 20, and it seems to be affecting my ATO (duetto). The water flows back into the chambers too slow, so my ATO ends up overfilling a bit. This occurs even when there is no media in the baskets. Have you experienced the same thing?

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you happen to use an ATO? I have 2 intank baskets for my nuvo 20, and it seems to be affecting my ATO (duetto). The water flows back into the chambers too slow, so my ATO ends up overfilling a bit. This occurs even when there is no media in the baskets. Have you experienced the same thing?

In the beginning, I had the sensor relatively high and the water level was pretty high. I noticed it would kick on frequently. I got some advice from @Tahoe61 and lowered the water level so it was a waterfall effect through to the rear chambers. I also lowered the sensor of the ATO. It doesn't seem to kick on much at all now. Let me know how that goes for you!

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.25.20 Update:

Just picked up 6 Zoa frags from @AriMiko43 yesterday. Got them acclimated and placed in the tank yesterday. To my pleasant surprise this morning, the majority of the polyps are fully open! Check out the pictures below. Let me know what you think!

By the way, if you are looking for top notch frags, my dude @AriMiko43 has beautiful looking Zoas. They are incredible.

IMG_6493.JPG
IMG_6495.JPG
IMG_6496.JPG
IMG_6497.JPG
IMG_6489.JPG
IMG_6490.JPG

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.25.20 Update:

Just picked up 6 Zoa frags from @AriMiko43 yesterday. Got them acclimated and placed in the tank yesterday. To my pleasant surprise this morning, the majority of the polyps are fully open! Check out the pictures below. Let me know what you think!

By the way, if you are looking for top notch frags, my dude @AriMiko43 has beautiful looking Zoas. They are incredible.

IMG_6493.JPG
IMG_6495.JPG
IMG_6496.JPG
IMG_6497.JPG
IMG_6489.JPG
IMG_6490.JPG
Those are very nice looking zoas!

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yes 100% every time. I have had to stop using floss/socks because of it.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%
Back