OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would actually recommend the opposite of what you were thinking. Don’t dose vibrant, and instead start using carbon (not dosing carbon, but the pieces that you can put in a mesh bag. So many people have problems after vibrant that I will never let it anywhere near my tank.

Shoot, really? What have you heard about Vibrant? When I was running carbon before, some feedback I got was that the water was too clean. I think the UV sterilizer will help too (hopefully).

I already dosed Vibrant today 2ml. I can hold off if you think I should. I just read it would help. Want to try what helps ...

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shoot, really? What have you heard about Vibrant? When I was running carbon before, some feedback I got was that the water was too clean. I think the UV sterilizer will help too (hopefully).

I already dosed Vibrant today 2ml. I can hold off if you think I should. I just read it would help. Want to try what helps ...
I personally just don’t like adding unnatural additives to my tank that mess up the balance. I have also heard of some people’s tanks having bad problems with corals and even fish after using vibrant, but I also do know that many people have success with it. If your water is too clean, then I would try feeding more instead of vibrant. I would hold off on adding any products like that until you get nitrates and phosphates raised, done a blackout, and given it time.

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally just don’t like adding unnatural additives to my tank that mess up the balance. I have also heard of some people’s tanks having bad problems with corals and even fish after using vibrant, but I also do know that many people have success with it. If your water is too clean, then I would try feeding more instead of vibrant. I would hold off on adding any products like that until you get nitrates and phosphates raised, done a blackout, and given it time.
Put an IM UV, turn off lights, top off only no products, no dosing.
Give it a couple weeks.

Trust me.

Just installed the UV Sterilizer. I'm going to take the towel off the tank for the blackout tonight and feed the fish/shrimp. The shrimp molted again last night! Crazy...

I can keep the light off but my office where I have the tank is very bright during the day. What do you recommend?

Will the corals (zoas) fish & shrimp dislike if I keep it blacked out?

Thanks!

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just installed the UV Sterilizer. I'm going to take the towel off the tank for the blackout tonight and feed the fish/shrimp. The shrimp molted again last night! Crazy...

I can keep the light off but my office where I have the tank is very bright during the day. What do you recommend?

Will the corals (zoas) fish & shrimp dislike if I keep it blacked out?

Thanks!
How long has it been blacked out?

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just leave the blanket off, and just leave the light off, fish and shrimp do not care and the zoanthids might be a lost cause.

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just leave the blanket off, and just leave the light off, fish and shrimp do not care and the zoanthids might be a lost cause.

will do for both. Corals still look alright, thankfully. Hoping this algae clears up soon! I’ll post a pic tomorrow.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it a week more. Turn lights on and you will be right back where you started from.

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tahoe61 & @TheShrimpNibbler

Tested the basic water parameters this A.M. just to see where the tank was at given the breakdown of all of the dino's. The sand bed is looking significantly better, the snails are popping up and showing life again and the corals are melting. This is all good news.

Here's the results of the test:

PH: 8.0
Ammonia: .25ppm
Nitrite: .5ppm
Nitrate: 10ppm

Is the tank cycling again? Should I do a water change or just wait it out? I'm kind of afraid to do another water change because that's what brought on the dino's last time. The water was too clean. Look forward to hearing your thoughts / advice and sincerely appreciate it all along the way.

IMG_6671.JPG
IMG_6672.JPG

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking better. I would do nothing but top off. The ammonia may be a false value as API kits are known for showing a false positive.
If values increase over next couple days try some Prime.
:)

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking better. I would do nothing but top off. The ammonia may be a false value as API kits are known for showing a false positive.
If values increase over next couple days try some Prime.

Thank you :). @Tahoe61 by some "Prime" you mean turn on the lights? Ha ha, sorry for confusion.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prime is a liquid product that reduces ammonia levels. Petco has it as do most LFS. It's used in QT and newly established systems.
If you turn on the light the algae or dino will pop right back up in a couple hours.
Four to 5 days light out and than when you do resume lighting do so short duration of time.

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prime is a liquid product that reduces ammonia levels. Petco has it as do most LFS. It's used in QT and newly established systems.
If you turn on the light the algae or dino will pop right back up in a couple hours.
Four to 5 days light out and than when you do resume lighting do so short duration of time.

Perfect, just ordered some Seachem Prime. Lights have been out since Saturday, so by Friday should I turn them back on or wait until the algae is completely gone?

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tahoe61 these guys acting funny to you? I just worry cause of the elevated levels. Maybe hit it with some Prime today because of the nitrites elevated too? Just want a second opinion.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as they are eating and not breathing heavily than they are probably fine.
See how it looks on Thursday. :)

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure no problem. It's hard not to want jump right in thinking there must be a quick fix. One of my tanks had dino for 3 months, killed large established colony of zoanthids. Back than 10 yrs ago there were not many resources regarding Dino treatment.
Lights out, no water changes, maintain pH above 8 worked for me and my tank was considerably worse.

haitian_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I would chime in to tell you I'm growing through my ugly stage as well. I would say my algae problem is worse than yours. I want to brush the crap out of my rocks. I started my nuvo in mid December. I wish I had listened to the expert and not add any corals until the ugly stage is over. The experts also say to let the process ride, and continue with your maintenance. I plan on doing the same thing too... You can do it!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 106 86.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back