Boomer's IM 20G Nano

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sandbed in the rear has started to brown up again. I just threw a towel over the tank to black it out for a couple days. I'm nervous as I'm leaving for VT on Thursday for a week. My sister-in-law will be taking care of the tank (feeding) while I'm away. I can't expect her to notice any major differences because she doesn't know what she's looking for.

I'm going to continue running the UV sterilizer. I'll also test the params tomorrow morning to see where we are at. I want to make sure I have enough time to order something or pick something up (I.e. nitrates for dosing) if necessary.

If you were me, what would you do? @TheShrimpNibbler @reeferfoxx @Tahoe61

By the way @reeferfoxx I returned the Vibrant ;)
The brown could still be diatoms. Just make sure you have both N and P present or you will have issues. Availability of nutrients is very important.

As far as someone else feeding the tank, make sure to set portions aside. Dont tell them a pitch of this or that. Like literally put portions in a weekly pill case. Only then they can't mess anything up.

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The brown could still be diatoms. Just make sure you have both N and P present or you will have issues. Availability of nutrients is very important.

As far as someone else feeding the tank, make sure to set portions aside. Dont tell them a pitch of this or that. Like literally put portions in a weekly pill case. Only then they can't mess anything up.

Alright will do. I'm nervous about the pace at which the one frag is melting. I am going to try a furan dip now to see if that helps...might be a lost cause. The others look far better now.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just out of curiosity, what are you using to test salinity and how is temp measured?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Hanna salinity / temp checker. I know how important those parameters are and when I bought this setup I wanted to make sure I had an accurate mesaure.
If you get time, take a sample to your LFS and see if they measure the same. I use a milwuakee that I fully trust and fully trusted when I bought it, but just to make sure it always helps to have a 2nd test. Just for peace of mind...

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you get time, take a sample to your LFS and see if they measure the same. I use a milwuakee that I fully trust and fully trusted when I bought it, but just to make sure it always helps to have a 2nd test. Just for peace of mind...
Definitely agree. I will when I get a chance to head over there. It's about an hour away so it takes commitment haha.

Maybe I'll swing over there tomorrow, grab some nitrates to dose as well depending on the test. Any suggestions on supplementation? I really want to beat these Dino's. Going to dip the zoas that are melting in furan-2 tonight and over the next 2 days to see if that helps. A peroxide dip in the past didn't so I'm not sure what's going on. I also tried iodine dip, no luck.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely agree. I will when I get a chance to head over there. It's about an hour away so it takes commitment haha.

Maybe I'll swing over there tomorrow, grab some nitrates to dose as well depending on the test. Any suggestions on supplementation? I really want to beat these Dino's. Going to dip the zoas that are melting in furan-2 tonight and over the next 2 days to see if that helps. A peroxide dip in the past didn't so I'm not sure what's going on. I also tried iodine dip, no luck.
I'm not sure. But imagine you are sitting in a doctors office because you have back pain, except the nurse wants you to travel up 4 flights of stairs for a blood test. Then wants you go across the street for urine test. Then the doctor says, its not your back so lets walk on the treadmill for 30 mins. How do you think your stress level is going to be? Do you feel like you would blossom after fragging, shipping, acclimating, lighting, lack of nutrients, dip after dip after dip.

Edit: and ya, thats a terrible analogy. I'm probably the worst at analogies ;Hilarious

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure. But imagine you are sitting in a doctors office because you have back pain, except the nurse wants you to travel up 4 flights of stairs for a blood test. Then wants you go across the street for urine test. Then the doctor says, its not your back so lets walk on the treadmill for 30 mins. How do you think your stress level is going to be? Do you feel like you would blossom after fragging, shipping, acclimating, lighting, lack of nutrients, dip after dip after dip.

Edit: and ya, thats a terrible analogy. I'm probably the worst at analogies ;Hilarious
Totally get it. Makes perfect sense. Going to keep the lights out until I leave on Thursday AM then set the schedule for something like 4 hours with an hour ramp on each side making 6 total hours. I know it's short but it'll at least help the coral a little without overkill. Also going to test params before I leave as well. I'd say some NO3 in the water is a good thing and won't water change for some time. Maybe after I get back depending on levels.

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally get it. Makes perfect sense. Going to keep the lights out until I leave on Thursday AM then set the schedule for something like 4 hours with an hour ramp on each side making 6 total hours. I know it's short but it'll at least help the coral a little without overkill. Also going to test params before I leave as well. I'd say some NO3 in the water is a good thing and won't water change for some time. Maybe after I get back depending on levels.
I would go ahead and take the towel off the tank. Your corals are not going to do well without light. Also skip the Duran dip. Just leave the coral alone and let it do it’s thing. Also, if you go ahead and take the light off now, you can see how the tank is reacting to it. If you just take it off for the fish sitter, things could go sideways and you wouldn’t know. Make sure that you have some nitrate and phosphate in your tank, and see how things go.

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go ahead and take the towel off the tank. Your corals are not going to do well without light. Also skip the Duran dip. Just leave the coral alone and let it do it’s thing. Also, if you go ahead and take the light off now, you can see how the tank is reacting to it. If you just take it off for the fish sitter, things could go sideways and you wouldn’t know. Make sure that you have some nitrate and phosphate in your tank, and see how things go.

I've just shortened the photo period. One frag is nearly completely melted and gone, unfortunately. I can see pieces of algae build up on the frags, not a crazy amount, don't you think peroxide might help kill it?

Appreciate all of your help.

TheShrimpNibbler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just shortened the photo period. One frag is nearly completely melted and gone, unfortunately. I can see pieces of algae build up on the frags, not a crazy amount, don't you think peroxide might help kill it?

Appreciate all of your help.
Just try blowing the algae off. I’m sure this analogy probably won’t make much sense, but all these dips for the little bit of algae are probably doing just as much harm as good. It’s kind of seeing that someone got a paper cut and saying “oh, let me go pour some bleach in there to disinfect it. I’m sure the corals are already stressed enough, so I would just leave them alone and let them do their thing.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add, a healthy reef is constantly growing micro and macro algae. Lot of micro organisms are vegetarian along with detritivores. So, the algae will typically grow and then your snails, pods, rotifers, isopods, etc will consume it before you even notice. At least that's how a well balanced tank works. The most important thing here is that nitrates and phosphates are available. They need to be tested. If you see brown slime with snot like bubbles and zero N or P, then its for sure dinos. Otherwise, its just diatoms AKA natural food source for many organisms.

toadfarm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like they want more light...they are reaching so I moved them up.

The others on the sand bed, which opened when I got them still haven't opened, been about 4-5 days. No coloration at all. Are they gone?

IMG_6584.JPG
IMG_6582.JPG
IMG_6583.JPG
They need light
Put them up a few inched

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

Been a little while since I updated last. Things with the tank are going well. I think I've beaten the dino's and the tank continues to establish itself. I was also able to save 2 of the Zoanthid frags as well and as the tank matures, they have opened and look to be thriving (not open in the pics because the light has been off for a bit). I haven't needed a water change at all since returning from vacation!

Only new development I've seen is green establishing itself on my rocks. It looks like it might be the start of coraline algae, however, I would love some feedback. Am I in for another scary algae outbreak or is this just the tank maturing?

Fish and shrimp seem very happy, I'm running the BRS AI Prime schedule without the green and red and the coral seems to be loving it. Will post a full tank shot shortly. For now, here are pics of the establishing green on the rocks.

Feedback welcomed!

IMG_5024.JPG
IMG_5248.JPG
IMG_6775.JPG

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good!

It looks more like coraline to me then anything else but I’m still new so maybe someone else can chime in. Is it hard to scrape off? I’m starting to see green coraline on my glass and it was identified because it won’t come off unless I really get at it.

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely going to upgrade the return pump and I'll ditch the sock.

Thankfully I've got a Nero5 that's keeping the water moving around quite a bit!
You might think about a fish guard for the Nero. They seem to like to suck fish in.

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good!

It looks more like coraline to me then anything else but I’m still new so maybe someone else can chime in. Is it hard to scrape off? I’m starting to see green coraline on my glass and it was identified because it won’t come off unless I really get at it.

Thanks! Yes it's pretty tough to get off so I'm guessing the start of something good!

Looking a lot better.

So much better, thank you for your help through the process.

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might think about a fish guard for the Nero. They seem to like to suck fish in.

The clownies stay away from it for the most part. they have their spaces in the tank at this point. I don't see them going in there (famous last words ha ha).

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The shrimp molted again! That's 4 times since I picked him up! Pretty awesome.

Just put a couple hermits and nerite snails in the start cleaning a bit more. They seem to be working well. Nitrates have been right around 20ppm. All other levels are doing well and I haven't needed to do a water change. Managed to save 3 of the zoa frags which is fantastic. The pink zippers are growing and huge now. Hoping the other 2 continue to grow as well.

I have little hairs on the rocks, that the hermits seem to be taking care of. Anyone know what type of algae this it? (posted pic)

Hope everyone is doing well during this crazy time. Stay healthy! Look forward to hearing from you!

IMG_7285.JPG
IMG_7287.JPG

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 38 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 20.8%
  • None.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.3%
Back