OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No that’s just what blenny do. My tailspot does it from time to time and if you look online it’s normal (usually from stress)
My man always quick on the responses. Thanks brotha.

im going to filter my sand through a 1 micron filter sock too. Rinse it w the salt water. Hoping that works for the rip clean. I’ve got 7 gallons of water going.

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How attached are you to the stuff in your sandbed? I would honestly wash it in tap water till it’s clean then a final rinse in rodi if you’re going to add it back. A wash in saltwater won’t get rid of a lot of things. I’m going to add sand back into my tank once I get rid of this cyano but it will be washed clear and then rinsed in rodi before adding it.

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How attached are you to the stuff in your sandbed? I would honestly wash it in tap water till it’s clean then a final rinse in rodi if you’re going to add it back. A wash in saltwater won’t get rid of a lot of things. I’m going to add sand back into my tank once I get rid of this cyano but it will be washed clear and then rinsed in rodi before adding it.
Should I just buy a new bag of live sand instead?

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessary rinsing the old stuff is fine you just want to make sure it’s 100% clean before adding it back. That is where people can cause issues with tank transfers and rip cleans. I tossed mine because I wanted to try bare bottom out as well as making it easier for myself but I’ve been missing my sand and I want it back soon lol.

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not necessary rinsing the old stuff is fine you just want to make sure it’s 100% clean before adding it back. That is where people can cause issues with tank transfers and rip cleans. I tossed mine because I wanted to try bare bottom out as well as making it easier for myself but I’ve been missing my sand and I want it back soon lol.
People can cause issues when not cleaning the sand fully? Or adding new sand? Lol sorry confused.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does this look like ich on my brand new blenny?

No that’s just what blenny do. My tailspot does it from time to time and if you look online it’s normal (usually from stress)
It could be, although I agree with Nick. I have a starry blenny and I’ve seen at least 3 different color combinations depending on his mood.
Should I just buy a new bag of live sand instead?
The Live part of the sand in a bag is debatable!! If you like the grain size of sand you have now then you could keep it.

On the other hand, if you pick up new sand you can get a head start on the rinsing. I would rinse any and all sand live or not!
I decided to replace my old sand. First I didn’t like the small grain size, it was hard to vacuum. Also I was able to have the sand rinsed ahead of time.

Takes a few hrs to rinse sand clear and clean! It’s a little easier if done in smaller batches instead of rinsing all at once in one bucket.
6F19652F-E803-4263-9D5B-8B010B944179.jpeg
New sand before rinse! Tons of junk and the tag said pre-rinsed!! Lol
FEA62417-B83C-4470-AFCB-0E5BCCF6530E.jpeg
In the tank! Mostly clear. Next day was totally clear.

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be, although I agree with Nick. I have a starry blenny and I’ve seen at least 3 different color combinations depending on his mood.

The Live part of the sand in a bag is debatable!! If you like the grain size of sand you have now then you could keep it.

On the other hand, if you pick up new sand you can get a head start on the rinsing. I would rinse any and all sand live or not!
I decided to replace my old sand. First I didn’t like the small grain size, it was hard to vacuum. Also I was able to have the sand rinsed ahead of time.

Takes a few hrs to rinse sand clear and clean! It’s a little easier if done in smaller batches instead of rinsing all at once in one bucket.
6F19652F-E803-4263-9D5B-8B010B944179.jpeg
New sand before rinse! Tons of junk and the tag said pre-rinsed!! Lol
FEA62417-B83C-4470-AFCB-0E5BCCF6530E.jpeg
In the tank! Mostly clear. Next day was totally clear.
Nice that makes sense. I'll rinse the sand I have left in there, it'll be a shallower sand bed but that's okay.

Gonna be a nightmare catching this Blenny. He hides his whole body in a rock. Might just have to put that rock in the 4 gallons with the clownfish and run my Koralia Nano in there.

Going to be a project for sure, but should be well worth the time.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonna be a nightmare catching this Blenny. He hides his whole body in a rock. Might just have to put that rock in the 4 gallons with the clownfish and run my Koralia Nano in there.
Yup, once you have some clean water transferred, just grab the rock with the blenny in it. Just try to lift the rock slowly and not disturb the sand bed too much.

Danroo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t had the opportunity yet. I think I’ll be able to this weekend. Was thinking through it, I only have 2 heaters and 5 gallon buckets. Is that an issue with refilling the tank? Want to be sure my fish survive.
I’m not sure if anyone has do this before but I was wondering. I have a HOB filter running on my tank. God forbid I’ve to do a rip clean but if I did I would fill up the 5G bucket and run the HOB filter on top of it and move my livestock on to it. That could work right?

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t had the opportunity yet. I think I’ll be able to this weekend. Was thinking through it, I only have 2 heaters and 5 gallon buckets. Is that an issue with refilling the tank? Want to be sure my fish survive.
Honestly I did two five gal buckets without heaters for my rip clean. Water got to 75F and I didn’t notice any effects to my corals or fish during reintroduction. I used my heaters to heat up the new salt water to 78F.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was thinking through it, I only have 2 heaters and 5 gallon buckets. Is that an issue with refilling the tank? Want to be sure my fish survive.
Always good to have a plan. One heater for the fish in the bucket. The other to heat up new salt water. Even if both cool down some, will be ok. Main thing is not have a drastic temp difference between the two.

Honestly I did two five gal buckets without heaters for my rip clean. Water got to 75F and I didn’t notice any effects to my corals or fish during reintroduction. I used my heaters to heat up the new salt water to 78F.
Not much temp difference. That’s good. I think I used 4 buckets. Re-used most of my water and needed to keep some coral separated so they didn’t kill each other!

but if I did I would fill up the 5G bucket and run the HOB filter on top of it and move my livestock on to it. That could work right?
Really no need. Fish and coral will be ok in a open bucket for a few hrs.

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always good to have a plan. One heater for the fish in the bucket. The other to heat up new salt water. Even if both cool down some, will be ok. Main thing is not have a drastic temp difference between the two.

Not much temp difference. That’s good. I think I used 4 buckets. Re-used most of my water and needed to keep some coral separated so they didn’t kill each other!

Really no need. Fish and coral will be ok in a open bucket for a few hrs.
Alright - how the hell do I rinse the sand? Ha ha or should I just buy a new bag?

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright - how the hell do I rinse the sand? Ha ha or should I just buy a new bag?
Rinsing all at once in one bucket is not the best. So Rinse in small batches. After you have all the sand out and in one bucket, take out 3-4 cups at a time and rinse in a separate container. Smaller bucket or large bowl will work.

I used the garden hose, it was a nice day outside. Bathtub works also.

What did you use to filter water after? Filter sock?
After you fill tank? Should not need filtered if the sand was rinsed properly.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Just in case you want more info. it’s all in this thread.

Back