OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ran about 8 gallons of rodi through the sand just like I did with tap water.
I just meant to dump the water after without losing sand but making sure there’s not much RODI left in the substrate. I guess some RODI in there won’t matter though.

I’ve got 7 gallons of water total to work with. 5 salt, 2 RODI.

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just use your hand to block the sand to get most of the rodi out. Usually can get a very good majority of the water out.
Another question - made a bunch of water last weekend. The 5 gallon buckets now have what looks like dark algae pieces in them. The water had a pump in it so it wasn’t still. Is it safe to use? Or should I start over?

Attachments

• 3E01DE3C-4EF2-4C57-99B1-942AAA96471C.jpeg
    3E01DE3C-4EF2-4C57-99B1-942AAA96471C.jpeg
    87.9 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update for those that are interested!

It seems like the tank is maturing quickly. I did not end up doing a full rip clean, however, I did syphon the dino's out of the sand. As expected they returned, but not nearly as bad as I thought.

I continued to check Nitrate and Phosphate levels and started dosing SpongExcel. After all of the reading I've done, it seems like inducing a diatom bloom via SpongeExcel has helped in beating Amphidinium Dinos. Well, it seems like it's working.

Additionally, I added two bottles of Coraline in a Bottle from @AlgaeBarn for some more good bacteria. I had coraline growth prior to adding the two bottles but it seems to have begun exploding in the tank. Another good sign.

Levels this morning are stable: Nitrates 8ppm, Phosphates .07ppm. I have not done a water change since syphoning the dinos out (2.5 gallon change) 2 weeks ago. I'm going to wait another 5-7 days and see how things continue to progress.

IMG_3936.JPG
IMG_3937.JPG
IMG_3938.JPG

ALL POSITIVE NEWS! I have a spreadsheet of this dino battle and exactly what I've been through, what I've tried, what worked, what hasn't and this is the first time in a year I seem to be making significant progress.

Finally, @WWC Fragtoberfest has been a blast, picked up more than a few pieces - posted pics of the coral from WWC. Will add pictures from the tank after I get them settled in a couple weeks.

Thankful I didn't quit.

IMG_0057.jpg
IMG_3927.jpg
IMG_3928.jpg
IMG_3929.jpg
IMG_3930.jpg
IMG_3931.jpg
IMG_3932.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3930.jpg
    IMG_3930.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3931.jpg
    IMG_3931.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Expecting my WWC coral delivery tomorrow and am getting excited! I’ll post some pics.

in the meantime, WWC says not to dip until 24 hours after and just place them in the tank as fast as possible. I don’t have a QT. Not much in there to begin with, but still makes me nervous. Anyone have experience with this? (WWC specifically)

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Expecting my WWC coral delivery tomorrow and am getting excited! I’ll post some pics.

in the meantime, WWC says not to dip until 24 hours after and just place them in the tank as fast as possible. I don’t have a QT. Not much in there to begin with, but still makes me nervous. Anyone have experience with this? (WWC specifically)
I personally didn’t dip my first acro from WWC and shortly after had an issue with white bugs that started wrecking havoc on my sps (not sure if I got from them but was only frag added for months and everything was good before adding but still my fault). I just got another shipment from them and this time I decided to dip my corals. One came in looking rough but is rebounding now the other is having issues (never any luck with cyphastrea though so). Honestly I say dip it and save the headache imo. Lps/softies less likely to have issues then sps imo also.

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally didn’t dip my first acro from WWC and shortly after had an issue with white bugs that started wrecking havoc on my sps (not sure if I got from them but was only frag added for months and everything was good before adding but still my fault). I just got another shipment from them and this time I decided to dip my corals. One came in looking rough but is rebounding now the other is having issues (never any luck with cyphastrea though so). Honestly I say dip it and save the headache imo. Lps/softies less likely to have issues then sps imo also.
Thanks for the advice - seems like a good idea. In the meantime, I'm going to start scouting out a 10 gallon AIO to set up as a quarantine tank ha ha. Why not right?!

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice - seems like a good idea. In the meantime, I'm going to start scouting out a 10 gallon AIO to set up as a quarantine tank ha ha. Why not right?!
Yeah if you can do it I would. I’m just to impatient and don’t feel like worrying about two reef tanks for 30+ days lol

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought this was a cool shot from top down after I got the coral dipped and in the tank. Have the zoas on a rock glued down and candy cane below the frag rack. Going to find a home for all of these in the tank over the next few days after they are settled.
IMG_4093.JPG

Left top to right bottom: WWC Spitfire Favia, WWC Neon Plesiastrea, Meteor Shower Cyphastrea, Poison Smoke Ring Favia, WWC Twilight Merletti Blastos, Jedi Mind Trick Montipora, Green Birdnest

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just grabbed a microscope to ID Dino’s officially. While I’m winning the battle it’s VERY slow. I looked back at my thread to see this has been going on for almost 2 years!

Large Cell Amphdinium Dinos. Jerks. Here is the scope picture.

Plan of attack is the same, dose silicates with SpongeExcel and live phyto. UV doesn’t do anything for these guys. I will win!

7D0C3F95-E19C-4EC1-B71B-2A6D817D868E.jpeg

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the spirit!! Keep up the good work!

Adding corals can help if you keep an eye on your nutrients. The help compete with the space the Dino’s need to grow.

I’ve come to notice even though I don’t have a huge breakout of Dino’s constantly I do always notice there is a patch here or there if I look throughout my tank closely. It’s blending in with my cyano.

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've won the battle against Large Cell Amphidinium. I attribute the victory to PolypLab Genesis.

I tried dosing silicates and had no luck, I tried MB7, blackouts...you name it I tried it. Go back through this thread and look at how long I've been battling. It wasn't until I started dosing PolypLab's Genesis that the dino's finally disappeared. I'm thrilled. Corals are thriving and growing. Tank is looking incredible.

For reference:

Sand bed shot on October 19th
IMG_4169.JPG
IMG_4170.JPG

Sand bed photo yesterday October 26th
IMG_4227.JPG

Dino's are gone!

Here's some photos of the frags I picked up about a month ago. Need to figure out where to place the favias and cyphastrea. Still not sure where to put them... That green candy cane was nearly gone during my battle - all skeleton no flesh. Thankfully it's coming back stronger than ever.

Also some other news - I'm awaiting a 5gal nano reef AIO tank custom built to set up next to this one. I'm going to use it as a quarantine for frags but also grow a massive amount of GSP in it because that's wavy and fun. Those are the plans for now. I'll likely start another thread for that build too.

IMG_4229.JPG
IMG_4231.JPG
IMG_4233.JPG

Nick Steele

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've won the battle against Large Cell Amphidinium. I attribute the victory to PolypLab Genesis.

I tried dosing silicates and had no luck, I tried MB7, blackouts...you name it I tried it. Go back through this thread and look at how long I've been battling. It wasn't until I started dosing PolypLab's Genesis that the dino's finally disappeared. I'm thrilled. Corals are thriving and growing. Tank is looking incredible.

For reference:

Sand bed shot on October 19th
IMG_4169.JPG
IMG_4170.JPG

Sand bed photo yesterday October 26th
IMG_4227.JPG

Dino's are gone!

Here's some photos of the frags I picked up about a month ago. Need to figure out where to place the favias and cyphastrea. Still not sure where to put them... That green candy cane was nearly gone during my battle - all skeleton no flesh. Thankfully it's coming back stronger than ever.

Also some other news - I'm awaiting a 5gal nano reef AIO tank custom built to set up next to this one. I'm going to use it as a quarantine for frags but also grow a massive amount of GSP in it because that's wavy and fun. Those are the plans for now. I'll likely start another thread for that build too.

IMG_4229.JPG
IMG_4231.JPG
IMG_4233.JPG
That is amazing!!! Glad you stuck threw it all and tank is looking great finally! Now it’s time to stock it and enjoy!

OP
OP
boomeraudio

boomeraudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Selling the entire setup - don't have time for it anymore.

Would be an amazing holiday/Christmas gift! Here's a link to the for sale thread.

Make me an offer - looking to get rid of it this month!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back