Boost pH+ by Brightwell Aquatics Raise pH without Affecting Alkalinity

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reef Builders

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boost pH+ is a completely new kind of additive from Brightwell Aquatics with one simple goal, to raise the pH of reef aquarium water without affecting alkalinity. The growth of aquarium corals is inextricably linked to the pH of the water they are living in and we’ve exhaustively preached the benefits of keeping pH at […]
Source

Continue reading...

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing to have to dose and monitor to keep stability. Fortunately I avg 8.27. But for those who don't, increasing ph will require increase alk and cal. Then if you lose consistency with dosing ph+ then you run the risk of alk and cal climbing higher than where you keep it.

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Product will raise your sodium and potassium levels. So need to keep track of how much is used. Doubt they'll tell you the ratio but guessing it's majority sodium hydroxide

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This product WILL RAISE YOUR ALKALINITY. From a chemistry perspective, there is no way this supplement cannot raise alkalinity. From the Brightwell page:

1600435857383.png

The hydroxides are the problem. Hydroxides contribute to alkalinity when they combine with atmospheric CO2 dissolved in the tank. This is how limewater/kalkwasser increases alkalinity.

Hydroxide combines with atmospheric CO2 to become bicarbonate:
OH- + CO2 => HCO3-

Hydroxide also combines with bicarbonate to become carbonate and water:
OH- + HCO3- => CO3-- + H2O

Carbonate and bicarbonate are the majority of total alkalinity in reef tanks. This product must raise alkalinity. There's no way that it cannot.

As of the time of this post, there are no liquid additives that can increase pH without increasing alkalinity. It used to be only Seachem outright lied about boosting pH without raising alkalinity. Looks like Brightwell has joined their unsavory company. What a disappointment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long will the ph boost last?looks like you need to does A lot of it
Yeah right 7.5ML per 10g seems like an awful lot specially if you have to do this daily.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This product WILL RAISE YOUR pH. From a chemistry perspective, there is no way this supplement cannot raise pH. From the Brightwell page:

1600435857383.png

The hydroxides are the problem. Hydroxides contribute to alkalinity when they combine with atmospheric CO2 dissolved in the tank. This is how limewater/kalkwasser increases alkalinity.

Hydroxide combines with atmospheric CO2 to become bicarbonate:
OH- + CO2 => HCO3-

Hydroxide also combines with bicarbonate to become carbonate and water:
OH- + HCO3- => CO3-- + H2O

Carbonate and bicarbonate are the majority of total alkalinity in reef tanks. This product must raise alkalinity. There's no way that it cannot.

As of the time of this post, there are no liquid additives that can increase pH without increasing alkalinity. It used to be only Seachem outright lied about boosting pH without raising alkalinity. Looks like Brightwell has joined their unsavory company. What a disappointment.

Sad, I figured it would still eventually raise alkalinity before I even opened the page. Here comes more new reefers crashing their tanks trying to boost ph while not watching alkalinity. I have seen so many do this with bottledph boosters and coraline growth bottles. I was really hoping it would be what was advertised.
Anyone tried it yet without alkalinity rising?

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley any input on this new product as don’t see how it wouldn’t raise alk along with needing 7.5ml/gallon

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Jim and Randy’s new 2 part for dosing that uses sodium hydroxide for the alk....

Unless we are missing something the product seems blatantly false and Jake should have called it out to at least see how they claim it’s different.

Hair Algae Wizard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used Jim and Randy’s new 2 part for dosing that uses sodium hydroxide for the alk....

Unless we are missing something the product seems blatantly false and Jake should have called it out to at least see how they claim it’s different.

And that is probably the reason it can't be found anywhere!

Tom Caknakis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I purchased this product before read this topic.

Well, I dosed 50 ml of Brightwell Boost Ph+ into my 250 litres tank which should raise my Ph about 0.1 without raising Alkalinity.

I checked Alk and Ph before and after dosing by my Alkatronic. Yellow mark is where I was dose Ph+.

Sadly, this product is total scam. Save your money, dont buy it.

IMG_4861.jpg

Betex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I purchased this product before read this topic.

Well, I dosed 50 ml of Brightwell Boost Ph+ into my 250 litres tank which should raise my Ph about 0.1 without raising Alkalinity.

I checked Alk and Ph before and after dosing by my Alkatronic. Yellow mark is where I was dose Ph+.

Sadly, this product is total scam. Save your money, dont buy it.

IMG_4861.jpg
Indeed the amount required to raise it its way too much and I know 1 person that dosed extra and ended up having some bad affects on his sps and lost some others just browned out.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was talking to brightwell about my dinos and he recommended this! I was just to scared to try it!

Funny thing is everything he told me to use he said Brightwells version instead of just saying you need a good saltwater mix (for example) It was you need Brightwell SW mix!

I do like Brightwells products and pretty much everything I use is Brightwell but their salt is outrageous!

Back