Both of my Clowns Jumped! Why?

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 30 days ago, I had one of my clown fish jump. Found it behind the DT. My thought was the other clown, who is slightly bigger, chased it till it jumped. last night the second one jumped. Found it on the floor behind the tank this morning.

The other tank inhabitants are four tangs (Tomini, Powder Blue, Purple, Hippo), six blue green Chromis, one female Bellus angel, two skunk shrimp, two fire shrimp, two pincushion urchins and a bunch of snails.

The clowns would always hang out high on the back wall of the tank. One close to the overflow and on in the top corner of the tank. I’ve never seen any aggression from anyone in the tank, but I’m suspecting someone chased them out. The clowns were the first fish in the tank 3 1/2 months ago, but both jumped since I added the PB, Purple, Hippo Tangs and and the two fire shrimp. The two fire shrimp are bigger than the clowns were.

Who do you think chased them? I’m leaning toward the fire shrimp. Each clowns jumped at night, because I always saw them at morning and evening feeding time. I’m thinking the fire shrimp are the main suspects. I’ve never seen any of the other fish go near them, but I didn’t think fire shrimp would go after fish. Any ideas?

Jetson.

stevolough

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be any of them. My hippo tang makes quick moves sometimes which can make my clowns react. I’ve also had my clown jump out during maintenance. Netting is worth piece of mind

Reefer Matt

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had it happen, as I have lids or nets on my tanks, but I have been told by many people that clownfish are jumpers. I have 4 clownfish, one in each of my reef tanks. Maybe a #fishmedic can provide further input.

NanoJHB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns will jump just because sometimes. I've got a lid on my tank and often heard them jumping into it at night.

The only other inhabitants in the tank is a wrasse (who's asleep in his hole) and a pompom crab who can't get anywhere near the Clowns due to the aquascape.

Something doesn't have to chase them to make them jump.

Recommend getting a jump guard on your tank

Mmonk005

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my first 2 fish last night (clowns). While letting the bag sit in the tank, one clown kept trying to jump. He was in a bag, so no big deal. After acclimation, I put them in and he jumped right out and landed on part of the lid. I’ve made a temporary DIY cover with screen over the open parts now, even though I show no signs of him jumping since.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best to get a net covering for your tank. The cheapest way is to buy an aluminum window frame kit at Walmart, Lowes, etc. and BRS sells the netting. I have lost two clownfish, one jumped before I had the cover and the other while I was doing tank maintenance. I didn't spot the second until the day after and he was behind the stand and I could not have gotten to him quick enough.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lost one or two over the years for the same reason. Unfortunately that probably will not be the last fish you lose without a top......give them time and they all jump at some point. Clowns tend to "sleep" against the glass in the upper corners of the tank....they naturally just follow the glass straight up.

OP
OP
AKL1950

AKL1950

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of the ideas do ring true. One in particular. Both times they jumped were on days I was working in the tank cleaning their back wall. Maybe they jumped while I was cleaning and I just didn’t notice till the next day.

Pretty sad that we have to cage them to keep them from killing themselves. Well, they are both gone, so I can think about it for a while and come up with a plan. I really like to watch clowns, so at some point, they will be replaced. you all have mentioned some good ideas. I would like to avoid a cover, but that may be required. Seems like the key to success is getting the clowns and a host together so they have their “safe” place Is the lower half of the tank. I’ve read several post about getting clowns and their perspective host together and the one I like the most is putting them in an observation cage in the tank with a host. Let them stay there for as long as it takes to get the clowns to become happy with the chosen host. I.e., get in it. Then, release them into the tank all together. Hopefully they stay with their host and don’t go wondering to the top edges and get frisky.

Jetson

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of the ideas do ring true. One in particular. Both times they jumped were on days I was working in the tank cleaning their back wall. Maybe they jumped while I was cleaning and I just didn’t notice till the next day.

Pretty sad that we have to cage them to keep them from killing themselves. Well, they are both gone, so I can think about it for a while and come up with a plan. I really like to watch clowns, so at some point, they will be replaced. you all have mentioned some good ideas. I would like to avoid a cover, but that may be required. Seems like the key to success is getting the clowns and a host together so they have their “safe” place Is the lower half of the tank. I’ve read several post about getting clowns and their perspective host together and the one I like the most is putting them in an observation cage in the tank with a host. Let them stay there for as long as it takes to get the clowns to become happy with the chosen host. I.e., get in it. Then, release them into the tank all together. Hopefully they stay with their host and don’t go wondering to the top edges and get frisky.

Jetson

Hi Jetson,
My momma clown would go airborn from bottom of tank to top of tank to attack me during feedings. I'd disturbed batch of eggs and never any forgiveness. At least 2x if not 3x jumped out onto floor thru open lid (because my arm needed lid to be open to add food...)

Hope is not a strategy that will work 100% of the time... if it works 99% that still works out to 3x year fish on floor, given 365 or so days a year. Olympic carpet surfing is a deadly sport, yet fish still go for the gold...

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t assume your fish won’t jump. All fish jump, they just need a reason and a gap and they will aim and chances are, if your tank is open topped then they will make it.

Your Clownfish may have been terrorised by your chromis. This would make more sense as chromis can become monsters as they age and Clowns are a close relative to them.
But as said above, it could be any of them. Aggression happens the most when we don’t see our tanks.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jetson
Why do you want to stay away from the netting idea? If it’s due to the rim look they give, my two tanks have a netting lid and they still look rimless. Plus if I want to look at them top down I can just take off the lid when I want to. You don’t have to keep it on it’s just good to keep it on when you aren’t looking at the tank (For example, at night or when you’re out of the house).

A lid will also allow you to have many more fish such as Wrasses (which are a fish that WILL jump when given a chance and you’re not there).

A net lid on my tank has saved my fish several times - Yes I unfortunately lost my tilefish due to jumping out 3 times. However, it has saved and did save my tilefish and other fish countless times when they’ve tried to jump.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? I could be way off here, but I count 11 fish added in 3 months, IMO nothing has had a chance to settle in and claim a little peice territory.

I've had clowns for years, I have never kept lids, and clowns never jumped on me, very rarely any fish ever jumped. Its had for me to imagine that a clownfish can even build up enough speed to jump out.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear about your fish jumping. I have had it happen. Currently my tanks are covered with the fine clear mesh as DIY cover. Too much experience with jumping. In fact the other day I was near the tank and heard a big bang and splash. Not sure who, but one fish jumped, hit the mesh and splashed back in. It was so hard of a hit, I checked all around the tank in case. No fish gone or out.
Love those mesh tops.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is your tank? I could be way off here, but I count 11 fish added in 3 months, IMO nothing has had a chance to settle in and claim a little peice territory.

I've had clowns for years, I have never kept lids, and clowns never jumped on me, very rarely any fish ever jumped. Its had for me to imagine that a clownfish can even build up enough speed to jump out.
They will jump if they want. It may sound ridiculous but clowns will absolutely jump if given reason to do so. Any fish will actually.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back