mariano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is going to be crazy and I probably will get a lot of people tell me im crazy, but I feel like it would be good to share this process, just in case someone goes thru the same thing, and I will try to update it as much as I can.
So I been very picky about my aquascape, Tank has been set up for a few months now, and I decided I didn't like it a bit ( It was live rock and bare bottom)

REdsea 170 - 34gl DT, 9gl sump
Redsea LED90
Vortech MP10qd
Reef Octopus Classic 110
Finnex- Watt Titanium Heater w/Digital Controller

2 Clownfish
1 Royal Gramma
1 Cardinal
1 Fathead
10 Sexy Shrimp
1 Yellow Coral banded
1Pom Pom Crab
1 Emerald Crab
7 Trochus
Tons of corals ( mostly LPS)

*Skimmer will be off during this process
*I will NOT be using Carbon for the first week/ only a filter sock

1- 9/19/20 Saturday night I changed the aquascape ( Macro shelf rock ( dry )) I dumped it in tap water to clean it up and then dumped it in Saltwater. While we were working on our aquascape I prepared a 25 gallon tank and transferred the live rock, water, corals and the fish to that tank. After I finished transferring everything, I went ahead and did a deep cleaning on the REDSEA 170 ( I did not make any changes in the sump, so 10 gallons of that water went back into the tank.
After I cleaned the tank I put the sand in ( did not rinsed it ) and 5 gallons of water. When we were done with the aquascape we put the rock in the tank, filled it up and used 4oz. of FritzZyme Turbo Start 900 Saltwater. The tank got really cloudy and left it alone for the night.
2- 9/20/20 Sunday Around 5pm I added 4oz. of FritzZyme Turbo Start 900 again , (you can add 4 times the recommended dose) waited about an hour and put both clownfish from the temporary tank that I had set up the day before and put them in the REDSEA170. After 30 mins of the clownfish being in the tank I feed them with Hikari Bio-Pure Frozen Mysis Shrimp Fish ( a quarter of one cube) and they ate.
3- 9/21/20 I woke up to a very clear water and the clownfish seem fine, no heavy breathing and acting as usual. I fed them the same amount of food as the day before.

When I get home from work today I will be transferring some of the hardiest corals I have, The royal gramma and the Cardinal.

* I will keep updating this post and I will upload pictures in the afternoon
* @brandon429 I tagged you because I know how much you love discussions about cycle.
* @Dr. Reef I Tagged you because I think your : Bacteria in a
bottle, Myth or Fact. is very interesting.
IMG_7649.jpeg

Last edited:

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking sharp above

hey on the clouding part, was that from the sand, was any unrinsed sand used?

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that fine dusting usually settles out/clearly it has now that shows nice filtration and current distribution, you seemed to have done a skip cycle rock swap nice one, $ on the line

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have never noticed cloudiness due to bacteria use, i think it must have been sand.
Also manufacturer does recommend setting up a tank and placing small fish or 2 in after dosing bacteria.
The way i did my study was not according to recommendation but more what most common hobbyist does.
Interesting, keep us posted.

OP
OP
mariano

mariano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10/21/20 i decided to go to my LFS and got 3 pounds of LR to put in the sump
E31ECE81-1C24-4F31-89D1-674667D6870D.jpeg
AF357A1E-E82C-4D43-9871-132D0FDED430.jpeg

I just got home and here are some pics of the new dry rocks inside the tank, i just took them.
1995208F-82ED-44D4-93D4-19000C993202.jpeg
40AE2CBD-C908-4424-BF21-43A55BCE91E1.jpeg

5582C4AA-C80F-41D3-B9BA-F59805206877.jpeg

Im going to put the cardinal and royal gramma now and i will start adding the corals later.

this is what i am using for bacteria
11F889AC-894F-4871-839D-D1EDDD430988.jpeg

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The live rock alone probably would carry that fish load, the bac is extra. No more bac is needed to be added for the life of the tank, right now the extras dosed are in suspension

after a cycle the surfaces are full bac don’t just stack infinitely bc we add them. Those not converted into benthic attachment are removed by that fine skim setup as they complex with hydrophilic floc in the water. Even if you leave the skimmer off, they just float around and are removed when you decide to turn it on.

OP
OP
mariano

mariano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10/21/20 - I transferred all fish, corals and Inverts to the tank in the evening, no signs of stress.
10/22/20 - Woke up to a cristal clear water, fish and inverts are acting normal and corals are opening up.
So everything is looking good (for now)

* I Will post some pictures when I get home and will keep updating this thread.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
corals into an all white scape will be quite a challenge, but doable. you should get a uv sterilizer before the headaches arrive.

battling the uglies with no food web in place, no natural suppressions in place, all white reflective bright surfaces, a war is coming but so far its only hoofs in the distance. we're long past cycling lol. *your lighting should be ran bluest possible when not taking pics, and much lower intensity the corals aren't going to starve of light, they'll need direct feed. not fish waste

fish waste + an entire benthic coral community is feed

fish waste in a new bright tank is uglies feed, but that scape is accessible vs a huge stack so that will help. when the rocks become blanketed you can remove them, hand clean, set back, not jack with water params trying to starve what is certainly coming due to no coralline, all reflective surfaces, strong white levels, fish waste et al

the number one thing to plan for: being tempted to try and starve algae coming, in a system where corals don't already have a base food network in place, you must feed them even if ups your algae cleaning work.

hand clean the algae, keep the water in place that grows it. this prevents coral bleaching in the new transfer setup, high feed, expected hand gardening for two years. simply do not allow the uglies, ever, price of whiterocking. once its purple your work drops to the cruise conrol you want, but not for two years. dont starve the growths, add a pill or a medicine for the uglies, don't phosphate test and respond with adsorbents, simply reef and clean like its a garden dead set on growing dandelions for 24 mos. we dont want to roundup your whole garden to prevent having to dig the dandies out with a butterknife, the manual digging removal is best.

OP
OP
mariano

mariano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
corals into an all white scape will be quite a challenge, but doable. you should get a uv sterilizer before the headaches arrive.

battling the uglies with no food web in place, no natural suppressions in place, all white reflective bright surfaces, a war is coming but so far its only hoofs in the distance. we're long past cycling lol.

I will definitely get one! thank you. im looking for one as we speak.

OP
OP
mariano

mariano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
10-04-2020 just wanted to give a quick update on the tank, everything is doing really good so far.
all parameters are in line according to the test kits.
so i have to say, i do believe bacteria in a bottle helps a lot.
let’s see how the tank behaves in a couple months.
60860333-4848-4A2A-A7E3-D0DF18867373.jpeg
E217AC39-1BC6-434E-824D-677607C56CFB.jpeg
061D5743-674A-494A-9E81-1B7194F02B0F.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
10/21/20 - I transferred all fish, corals and Inverts to the tank in the evening, no signs of stress.
10/22/20 - Woke up to a cristal clear water, fish and inverts are acting normal and corals are opening up.
So everything is looking good (for now)

* I Will post some pictures when I get home and will keep updating this thread.
Did you mean 9/22/20 ? 10/21 is in 3 weeks.
Turbo 900 is some of the best stuff ive used.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice work bud. I am also a big fan of turbo start 900.

a thought...if you want to keep GHA out of the tank giving it a place to grow with better conditions is the way to go IMHO. I am a big fan of ATS and with a smaller tank like you have better option that a fuge or algae reactor.

Back