Bought a 20lb C02 tank off a private individual

WVReefJunkie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
He claims they are full C02 cylinders, I did verify there is gas in the tank. Is there a way I could check the gas to verify it is C02 before I use it?

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He claims they are full C02 cylinders, I did verify there is gas in the tank. Is there a way I could check the gas to verify it is C02 before I use it?

weigh it. it it's truly full then it should weigh around 20lbs + the actual weight of the cylinder

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe most places will not fill CO2 bottles with other gas with out a label.
there are valves that can tell you how full the tank is. he should know what gas is in it, but if he does not or you dont trust maybe call the place he filled it can ask them this question.
there are Co2 detectors a compay prob. will have.

OP
OP
WVReefJunkie

WVReefJunkie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
He sounded kind of sketchy, said he got the tank from a Chinese guy. I may hook it to my calcium reactor and discharge the effluent into a container so I can monitor the ph level

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He sounded kind of sketchy, said he got the tank from a Chinese guy. I may hook it to my calcium reactor and discharge the effluent into a container so I can monitor the ph level

if in doubt I would get a professional option here. could be anytype of gas in there.
prob. is CO2 but you never know. at least call a place that fill them and ask I bet they have a simple solution for you.
I think it goes by the color of the tank they are not allowed to fill X gas in Y color. but IMHO I would ask and get it checked out.

flyline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some places that refill tanks will just exchange them with a full one then you know for sure

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
empty it and get it re-filled. It doesn't cost that much. Or take it somewhere that fills them, they will probably have a way to test it. Don't go to any place that does paintball CO2 (walmart, sporting goods, etc.) as some have oils in them

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully you checked the expiration date on the tank.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I recall, tanks are supposed to be inspected every 5 years. In most cases it doesn’t matter because the gas supply place usually just swap out the cylinder, but in the case of a very old one they may decline it.

OP
OP
WVReefJunkie

WVReefJunkie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
As far as I recall, tanks are supposed to be inspected every 5 years. In most cases it doesn’t matter because the gas supply place usually just swap out the cylinder, but in the case of a very old one they may decline it.
You are correct, the born on date of 2013. So would need hydrostatic testing done of the cylinder. I will probably just see if they will switch it out at some point. The tank is in really great shape.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct, the born on date of 2013. So would need hydrostatic testing done of the cylinder. I will probably just see if they will switch it out at some point. The tank is in really great shape.

ok, clearly you know what you’re doing .... I’ll butt out LOL.

OP
OP
WVReefJunkie

WVReefJunkie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
ok, clearly you know what you’re doing .... I’ll butt out LOL.
LOL, no your fine. I used to refill dry chemical fire extinguishers. They require the same type of testing on their cylinders too. Haven't messed with C02 gas though very much.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 55 56.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 30 30.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back