Bought a second hand tank (New to the hobby)

jerw93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys!
I'm Jeremy. Me and my partner recently bought a second hand reef tank. Very new to the hobby.
Tank is 60×35×40 cm works out to be 22 gallon / 84 litres
Came with live rock, live sand.
Has been cycled in the pet shop for 2 months and previous owner for a few months too.
Equipment included:
Fluval Aquaclear 70 filter (max output 1135l/h)
Heater
Maxspect Z420R nano 70w 15000k LED light operating at 12 hours at increasing intensity until 80% brightness.

Some corals were already in the tank. Mostly soft corals: some mushrooms corals, leather corals, finger leather coral, star grass polyp, (seems to be daisy polyp?), some kind of zoas?
Then we spot a random bubble tip anemone.

We used the same water from the pet shop. But have essentially rescaped the rocks. Due to a full test next week. So will upload parameters soon.
We also added a hammer coral.

To stabilize to tank quicker (after discovering the anemone), I added Seachem matrix, seachem stability and seachem purigen. Also added a boyu wave maker which adds 1000-3000l/h flow (as per packaging)

I just want to ask a few questions if someone will be kind enough to help.
1. Currently day 4 of "cycling". The BTA is hiding behind the rocks. It moved down and away from the light. Else does open up and tentacles are bubbled up. Should I be worried for the anemone now?
2. A bit of cyanobacteria and diatoms. But was there from before we got the tank. Flow was increased after we bought the tank. It's only been a few days. Can I wait and see a bit or should I be more aggressive in treating these?
3. Is a protein skimmer necessary in a nano set up like this? There was one included but it was a bubble magus qq1 overhanging skimmer which wasn't functional. The pet shop people said that they cycled it for months without the skimmer and everything was fine so they recommended that it wasn't necessary. But we spoke to another per shop owner and he said that his corals survived well without the skimmer in a nano tank and flourished after adding a skimmer.
4. How often should we do water changes? One Pet shop recommended 1 week, the other recommended 2 weeks.
Intention is to add some clean up crew and maybe maximum of 2 clowns.
Thanks everyone. All opinions are appreciated.

1611376612251874856957118546204.jpg

Last edited:

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the hobby! I am relatively new, couple years now, but pretty sure some experts will jump in and help you too.
If you are new to the hobby I would read this if you haven't. You'll get some nice initial pointers.
Watch the BRS or marine depot videos too. Lots of knowledge there.

As for your questions I'll try to help
1. To be honest, Btas on such a new tank usually will struggle. I would suggest removing it to an established tank if you can and maybe get it back once your tank is more established and you have more stable parameters.
Make sure your tank is indeed cycled by testing for ammonia. Make sure it's zero. At the very least add one of those ammonia badges to be on the safe side.
2. Diatoms and cyano are normal in a new tank. Let the ugly phases take their course, don't rush to add all kinds of stuff that could bring an imbalance.
3. While not necessary, it's helpful in my opinion. It depends on what's your overall nutrient export plan is. In the beginning water changes will probably suffice. But having it won't hurt and skimmers are good for air exchange.
4. How often will depend on your water quality and also how big are you planning on changing?. Use RODI water to mix your salt if possible. You'll have less issues that way.
I would buy some tests so you can do them at home if you can.
I did 15% change weekly when I started. But everyone has a different maintenance schedule. You'll fine tune as you learn.
Hope this helps to start and welcome to our addiction!!

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey there, welcome.

1. Not much you can do for the nem. It will move around until it finds a spot it likes. I don't know the PAR levels you get from that light, but maxspect is a decent brand, so I'd leave it be.

2. Just wait and see. Read a lot and watch your tank. A moderate stocking list (yours looks good) and consistent water changes are your best friend here.

3. Skimmers are not completely necessary, but assist in keeping the tank clean. I always use one. It increases the chance for success. You should be able to replace the pump /impeller on the one you have for a reasonable price.

4. Either /or is fine. I'd start with 10-15% once a week, or you could do 20-30% biweekly.

Have fun. Cheers!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back