Bought an acro so big I had to transport it in a 55 gallon Brute Trash Can

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The acro is based around a 1 1/2” piece of PVC 8” tall.

4256A195-6F07-47E4-A8B2-453BFA2EE7FE.jpeg
6A10F4CF-DA62-4D6B-BB4F-6CC80EA614F8.jpeg
20EE6FB8-FA46-41EB-8F41-45F58FBE05CC.jpeg B008B102-2E19-4F80-A3B1-FDFC62BAC39E.jpeg 11BB1523-9FA9-47D3-A60A-6392AB0E2987.jpeg

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that's like instant reef. I've always heard colony don't always fare well with moves/changes. Looks like a WWC or Poletti Yellow Tip Austera. How is it holding up?
This piece has been in the local reef store for about 2 years, i bought it a year ago, ( its tripled in size over the 2 years ), but have been waiting for my tank to settle in. I've added a good amount of frags and the frags are growing rapidly and coloring up amazingly. So I decided to bring it home yesterday. I will keep you all posted on its acclimation and follow up with better pictures this weekend.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't freak out or get discouraged it if dies back a bit from the move, different lighting and different flow. Colonies are hard and nothing like frags. If it dies back a bit, then just stay calm, trim off the dead parts and it will regrow. This is not a statement on your ability of a reefer. :)

It might be totally fine and I hope that it is, but moving colonies is one of the hardest things to do with acropora, IMO.

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't freak out or get discouraged it if dies back a bit from the move, different lighting and different flow. Colonies are hard and nothing like frags. If it dies back a bit, then just stay calm, trim off the dead parts and it will regrow. This is not a statement on your ability of a reefer. :)

It might be totally fine and I hope that it is, but moving colonies is one of the hardest things to do with acropora, IMO.
I appreciate your advice always. The LFS and I run our systems almost exactly as far as water perimeters go, the big difference is going from 400 watt Metal Halide in the store to T5 Kessil hybrid on my reef. The pars measured out the same, but I know LED and Metal Halide are 2 completley different light sources, and this will be the greatest challenge to overcome.

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The acro is based around a 1 1/2” piece of PVC 8” tall.

4256A195-6F07-47E4-A8B2-453BFA2EE7FE.jpeg
6A10F4CF-DA62-4D6B-BB4F-6CC80EA614F8.jpeg
20EE6FB8-FA46-41EB-8F41-45F58FBE05CC.jpeg B008B102-2E19-4F80-A3B1-FDFC62BAC39E.jpeg 11BB1523-9FA9-47D3-A60A-6392AB0E2987.jpeg
Im worried about that coral because they grow, especially sps, based on the flow they receive. So having a massive colony that grew in someone elses aquarium that is now in a different environment (water quality, flow, etc) is kind of sketchy. The coral will most likely start dieing off from the inside due to the flow, it might not spread far, but the inner part of the colony will most likely die off. if you don't want that to happen, you can either cut the colony in half, or remove a few branches from the outside so flow can get in. again, you don't have too, but that is something I would do.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have moved colonies in two of my own tanks that share water and have the same lights and sometimes they take some time adjust... just part of it. I just hate to see people freak out and try and chase something that is not there... and make things worse.

Always take a backup chunk (large frag) just in case. If everything is fine with the colony, then you have something to trade down the road.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Im worried about that coral because they grow, especially sps, based on the flow they receive. So having a massive colony that grew in someone elses aquarium that is now in a different environment (water quality, flow, etc) is kind of sketchy. The coral will most likely start dieing off from the inside due to the flow, it might not spread far, but the inner part of the colony will most likely die off. if you don't want that to happen, you can either cut the colony in half, or remove a few branches from the outside so flow can get in. again, you don't have too, but that is something I would do.
I'm curious - what if the flow in his tank was the same? And if the inner part dies off - and you cant see it - is that an issue?

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious - what if the flow in his tank was the same? And if the inner part dies off - and you cant see it - is that an issue?
Everyone will have different flow based on their aqauriums size and rock scape. No aquarium has the same flow. But hypothetically, if the inner part dies it isnt necessarily an issue, but if it starts to grow algea, then living tissue can start to receed and the whole thing will STN or RTN.

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if my flow is more, ever changing and what I would call WWC benchmark than what the previous tank was ?

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if my flow is more, ever changing and what I would call WWC benchmark than what the previous tank was ?
It being random has very little to do with it getting to into the interior of the colony. if its stronger than that is a different story, it can get into the interior of the colony, however you can run into the problem of it being too strong and causing tissue damage. Idk bout the wwc bechmark thingy tho

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It being random has very little to do with it getting to into the interior of the colony. if its stronger than that is a different story, it can get into the interior of the colony, however you can run into the problem of it being too strong and causing tissue damage. Idk bout the wwc bechmark thingy tho

I'm actually amazed at all the negativity, how are colonies imported from around the world if everyone is certain of the inevitable death that has now been placed on this colony? Seems like a colony in captivity has a better chance of a 1 hour move than a colony from the wild that has been in a box for 48 hours flying half way around the world.

Stuartmercer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually amazed at all the negativity, how are colonies imported from around the world if everyone is certain of the inevitable death that has now been placed on this colony? Seems like a colony in captivity has a better chance of a 1 hour move than a colony from the wild that has been in a box for 48 hours flying half way around the world.
They dont sell colonies the size of what you have lol

OP
OP
14 foot reef

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They dont sell colonies the size of what you have lol
we agree to disagree...... What size is your tank, and can I see some photos please. I love learning from the very successful reefers here on R2R ... Looking forward to some beautiful images !!!

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we agree to disagree...... What size is your tank, and can I see some photos please. I love learning from the very successful reefers here on R2R ... Looking forward to some beautiful images !!!
giphy.gif

I’m sure @Stuartmercer was just trying to help by pointing out some speed bumps to look out for. If anyone is being negative...

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back