Bought sick fishes.. made tankmates sick...

gibec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought 2 fish to add to my tank.. a cardinal and a royal gamma.. the royal gamma ate fine seemed healthy, but the bangai cardinal wasnt eating n e thing. After a week or so the cardinal died and another week or so i noticed white powder covering my clown fishes body.. day after,
noticing, my royal gamma was found dead in the corner... i was becomming fond of him. So sad to see it go.
My clown has lots of white powder on its body and assume that it will be next, but did hear they are more reaistant to ick and such. Hope it makes it out alive since it eats well and acts normal. Also have a black snowflake in there hanging on.

What do i do to get rid of this disease? I only have the 1 tank and do not have a quarintine tank.. not really planning on one tbh since i just started this business, been almost 4 months or so. I dont have much space abd alrdy spent more than enuff money. Wife wont be fond of another tank even if its for quarantining. No space whatsoever at that.

Is there n e way to go about thia problem for a 1 tanker??

OP
OP
G

gibec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like velvet.. looks likesugary powder. Ill try to post pictures when i get home. Thank you

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The quick death and white powdery look seems to suggest velvet to me.
Quarantine + copper treatment is the only surefire way to get rid of it. Qt is as simple as a 10 gallon with a sponge filter, cheap hob filter, and a heater.
Tank would have to remain fishless for 6 weeks to kill off all velvet. Unfortunately, all reef safe medicines are pretty much useless against diseases. Copper in the dt would kill any coral or inverts and cause problems later on.

OP
OP
G

gibec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The quick death and white powdery look seems to suggest velvet to me.
Quarantine + copper treatment is the only surefire way to get rid of it. Qt is as simple as a 10 gallon with a sponge filter, cheap hob filter, and a heater.
Tank would have to remain fishless for 6 weeks to kill off all velvet. Unfortunately, all reef safe medicines are pretty much useless against diseases. Copper in the dt would kill any coral or inverts and cause problems later on.
so if all my fishes die... and tank only has corals for 6 weeks, i can be confident that all the velvet has died? So i can start fresh with fish after 6 weeks? not that i have much fish, i only have 2 clown fish and a diamond goby left.

also, should i atleast try to do the reef safe medicine dose and hope for the best?

Honestly, If I knew i needed 2 tanks to start this hobby I wouldn't have rushed into it... sadly a second quarantine tank is not a option for me atm.

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so if all my fishes die... and tank only has corals for 6 weeks, i can be confident that all the velvet has died? So i can start fresh with fish after 6 weeks? not that i have much fish, i only have 2 clown fish and a diamond goby left.

also, should i atleast try to do the reef safe medicine dose and hope for the best?

Honestly, If I knew i needed 2 tanks to start this hobby I wouldn't have rushed into it... sadly a second quarantine tank is not a option for me atm.
If all fish die you can let the tank go fish less for 2 1/2 months to kill ich/velvet.
How big is your tank? Do you run a skimmer and carbon.
to treat the fish you can look up treating display with H202

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

reef safe meds will not fix velvet. Without copper treatment, the clown will die too. Issue is that once copper is in a tank its hard to get it out.

When a tank is under fallow, anything but fish is fine.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For velvet, the accepted fallow time frame is 6 weeks without any host. If anything (even coral) is added during that time, the clock should restart. They cannot be infected but can carry it into the tank (it does not feed off of inverts).
Most likely whatever reef safe medicine you try won’t work out.
Any new fish should still have to be quarantined (unless you order from a source which quarantines its fish like tsm or dr. Reef), or you will have this problem again.
Qt is not a reef tank - picture the simplest possible setup to be considered saltwater, and that’s it. Space isn’t too much an issue, one of my qt tanks is on the floor (I too don’t have much available space).

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For velvet, the accepted fallow time frame is 6 weeks without any host. If anything (even coral) is added during that time, the clock should restart. They cannot be infected but can carry it into the tank (it does not feed off of inverts).
Most likely whatever reef safe medicine you try won’t work out.
Any new fish should still have to be quarantined (unless you order from a source which quarantines its fish like tsm or dr. Reef), or you will have this problem again.
Qt is not a reef tank - picture the simplest possible setup to be considered saltwater, and that’s it. Space isn’t too much an issue, one of my qt tanks is on the floor (I too don’t have much available space).
you can literally use a big bucket, super cheap heater, and a 5$ sponge filter. You don't need to cycle it in emergencies, just use something like prime to make the water safe.

OP
OP
G

gibec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If all fish die you can let the tank go fish less for 2 1/2 months to kill ich/velvet.
How big is your tank? Do you run a skimmer and carbon.
to treat the fish you can look up treating display with H202
i have a 13.5 fluval evo. i do have a skimmer or the tank and carbon. I appreciate your help very much!!!
Everything was going smoothe... had the tank running for 4 months or so and corals/fish were all thriving... and it took just 1 sick fish from a cheap lfs to fk it all up. Well its a never ending learning hobby i guess..
just thank god fish disease wont kill my corals.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have a 13.5 fluval evo. i do have a skimmer or the tank and carbon. I appreciate your help very much!!!
Everything was going smoothe... had the tank running for 4 months or so and corals/fish were all thriving... and it took just 1 sick fish from a cheap lfs to fk it all up. Well its a never ending learning hobby i guess..
I would recommend investing in either a QT system, or only buying from QT sellers (or both) for the future. Also, make sure to feed the tank a bit even if there are no fish to feed your CUC and corals.

OP
OP
G

gibec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the only picture i have atm.. i guess i will end up setting up a cheap quarantine tank.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220508-155828_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220508-155828_Gallery.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 22

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing about a qt is that at the end of the day it is the cheaper option than constantly replacing fish.
Once all fish are in the dt and confirmed healthy, you don’t need it anymore (though it’s good to keep handy just in case).

Crabby48

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have over 20 fish. I cheated qt on one and am in same position as you. Fish sit at so many places and pick up a lot of bad now. I recommend all qt’ed fish of some sort.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back