Bounce mushroom

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS just takes a clean (free of oil, rust, debree, etc...) razor and slices the mushroom in half from the mouth. Then leave them in the same tank to give them time to heal up...

The guy who does them did tell me that sometimes they don't recover so you do have a risk by doing it this way..

OP
OP
Billy Aguillard II

Billy Aguillard II

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS just takes a clean (free of oil, rust, debree, etc...) razor and slices the mushroom in half from the mouth. Then leave them in the same tank to give them time to heal up...

The guy who does them did tell me that sometimes they don't recover so you do have a risk by doing it this way..

Do you think I could cut a piece of the foot

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't want to mislead you because i've never personally done one myself. I just know people who have done it. Search "Mushroom propagation" or mushroom fragging on youtube and you can learn a lot. Bounce or no bounce, essentially it's a mushroom. They're generally hardy if they are thriving in your tank, I don't see why a cut mushroom won't eventually heal back up.

Reading on some forums, some people say you can cut it right through the base while it's attached to the rock, and the base will grow back and the cut piece (after being attached to a rock with something or thrown in rubble rock area) will also grow a mouth and grow back, etc..

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth... I had a rock that had about 10+ mushrooms on it and I wanted to move it. I literally just pulled the rock out, and tore two rhodactis mushrooms in half on one, and just some of the tissue tore off on the other (mouth was still in tact), and they are both looking like normal mushrooms now after about 2 months ... they are pretty hardy. It may take less time for you in a better environment, but my tank is not "dirty" enough for their liking so it took a little longer to heal

OP
OP
Billy Aguillard II

Billy Aguillard II

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it's worth... I had a rock that had about 10+ mushrooms on it and I wanted to move it. I literally just pulled the rock out, and tore two rhodactis mushrooms in half on one, and just some of the tissue tore off on the other (mouth was still in tact), and they are both looking like normal mushrooms now after about 2 months ... they are pretty hardy. It may take less time for you in a better environment, but my tank is not "dirty" enough for their liking so it took a little longer to heal

Well if I were to cut a piece of the food would bubbles still grow on the new one?

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll wait for someone with more experience to chime in... I wouldn't know since i've never split a bounce up. I assume it will, since it's the same mushroom

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 78 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back