Bout to Jump in!

BRIGGZY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all!

Just looking for some advice for a newbie! Bout to set up a 120+ gallon 4x2x2 reef tank! And will be inheriting

3 x Ocelarus clowns
1 x bi colour angel
1 x Bengali cardinal
1 x blue tang
1 x yellow wrasse
1 x yellow tang
1 x royal grama

I have heard tangs are difficult, so won’t be adding anymore, I love blended and gobies, so would love your recommendations on any good choices

I have had freshwater/discus but first time in salt

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Howdy

Last edited:

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the reef!!! That’s a nice start to your livestock. I support getting tail spot Blenny. Wife and I love the fish, so much personality. Just be careful to not add them all at once. Slow and steady wins the race!

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
#WelcometoR2R !!! Congratulations on the new tank! Personally I would go with 2 clowns and 3 or 5 bangaii cardinals. I’ll let others speak to the tangs and wrasses.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! Tangs are actually easy to have. They will fight with each other sometimes, but usually it’s just to set the pecking order. I have 3 tangs in my 120. The blue tang will eventually get to big for a 120, so be prepared to eventually catch it and rehome it. You could add a bristle tooth tang as they don’t get big. Good luck on the tank!:)

OP
OP
BRIGGZY

BRIGGZY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! Thanks for the welcome and tips!
I should have clarified, this is an existing setup, I’m inheriting the fish and was wondering what else would be compatible with these guys

there is already 3 clowns happy together which I’ve heard is not usual

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy (1).gif

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, and lucky you! Yes, we love pictures! If you're interested in a shrimp-goby pair, I've had good luck with a yellow watchman goby and a pinkbar goby. I have a yellow watchman goby and a clown goby now. The clown goby is very small, but has a lot of personality. I find that little guy perched in all kinds of odd places! Blennies are fun fish with great personality also, but just be wary if you plan on keeping a clam. I don't know if that's the case with all blennies, but mine wouldn't leave the clam alone. Good luck with your decisions, and definitely add slowly! Sounds like you're off to a great start. :)

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats! What a tank to inherit.

I would recommend getting the new tank back up and stable. Don't make any big changes up front, no need to reinvent the wheel. After spending some time on the forum learning and asking questions, SLOWLY to begin to make changes and make it your own.

OP
OP
BRIGGZY

BRIGGZY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome, and lucky you! Yes, we love pictures! If you're interested in a shrimp-goby pair, I've had good luck with a yellow watchman goby and a pinkbar goby. I have a yellow watchman goby and a clown goby now. The clown goby is very small, but has a lot of personality. I find that little guy perched in all kinds of odd places! Blennies are fun fish with great personality also, but just be wary if you plan on keeping a clam. I don't know if that's the case with all blennies, but mine wouldn't leave the clam alone. Good luck with your decisions, and definitely add slowly! Sounds like you're off to a great start. :)

yes will wait till it’s all stable, a bit apprehensive having to move it all, will wait a few months before making any additions. Love the green coral goby, and keen for shrimp too

OP
OP
BRIGGZY

BRIGGZY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also how common have you guys ran into pests, like bristle worm or mantis shrimp?

OP
OP
BRIGGZY

BRIGGZY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do most salt water aquariums stock cheato? Or you had to get it online?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back