Boxfish acting very strange

enthb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a scribbled boxfish, cowfish, Midas blend, and a rainford goby in my tank. It was built specifically for the boxfish. Has lower flow and peaceful fish. No competition for food or aggressive behaviors. Ive had the scribbled boxfish for about 4 years. They all were doing great but one day the boxfish quit eating and wasn't picking at the rocks or anything. I got worried on day 2 when she wasn't eating and decided to put the food against her mouth with tongs. She immediately began darting at the food and taking bites. She would miss it a lot and mostly darts straight up even if the food is directly on front of her. She will turn towards food but won't bite it unless it actually touches her mouth but then still has trouble hitting the target. Its a real chore to get very much food down her at all and take several minutes just to get a few bites.

Its almost like her vision and coordination are off. Like a neurological thing. All of the other fish are acting normal and eating great. Has anyone ever had anything like this happen or have an idea what it may be. There are no signs of disease and I haven't added anything at all new to the tank in probably 2 years.

OP
OP
E

enthb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I've tried both. Only luck I've had is with the tongs. Using larger pieces that when she lunges at it she has a better chance of making contact. If I squirt mysis out right in front of her she will bite the stick but cant get the free floating food at all even if it comes out of the tube right in front of her. Its the strangest thing.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah I've tried both. Only luck I've had is with the tongs. Using larger pieces that when she lunges at it she has a better chance of making contact. If I squirt mysis out right in front of her she will bite the stick but cant get the free floating food at all even if it comes out of the tube right in front of her. Its the strangest thing.
It does sound like a vision problem. You can sometimes confirm that by moving around the tank to see if the fish reacts.

I don't know of any treatment for acute vision loss like that, sorry.

Jay

Back