BPB's Humble SPS Dominant 90 Gallon

Daniel Waters

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The single urchin is enough to keep the rocks picked clean...
I was contemplating adding an urchin to my clean up crew. Any downsides in your opinion to keeping one? I noticed you have the pin cushion variety.

OP
OP
Bpb

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was contemplating adding an urchin to my clean up crew. Any downsides in your opinion to keeping one? I noticed you have the pin cushion variety.

They do have their downsides. All of your rock work must be epoxied, glued, or cemented in place. While they can’t lift something super heavy, they can slowly wedge themselves between large rocks and knock them over. My kiwi sized urchin has managed to knock over a decent “cantaloupe” size rock before.

Any and all frags that are not secured will be picked up, carried around, and dropped. Zoas and montipora are usually fine with that. Acropora not so much. All stuff that is easily remedied with some effort up front and well worth it for their algae eating prowess

OP
OP
Bpb

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strangest thing. PH is never a parameter I try to chase or obsess over. But, with that being said, I do believe all marine life tends to show optimum health under a natural seawater ph around 8.3, so I try my best to get there as passively as I can.

Running a soda lime canister on my skimmers air line has done the trick, keeping me from 8.0-8.4 through the photoperiod, but the past week or so I’ve notice it hanging out low. 7.7-8.0 or so.

Usually I get 3-4 weeks out of a canister of soda lime but this time it is spent after 8 days. Odd. I wonder why the sudden buildup of co2 in the House. Haven’t had any unusual company over or anything.

Ken Lee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strangest thing. PH is never a parameter I try to chase or obsess over. But, with that being said, I do believe all marine life tends to show optimum health under a natural seawater ph around 8.3, so I try my best to get there as passively as I can.

Running a soda lime canister on my skimmers air line has done the trick, keeping me from 8.0-8.4 through the photoperiod, but the past week or so I’ve notice it hanging out low. 7.7-8.0 or so.

Usually I get 3-4 weeks out of a canister of soda lime but this time it is spent after 8 days. Odd. I wonder why the sudden buildup of co2 in the House. Haven’t had any unusual company over or anything.
Great looking tank mate!
From my experience, pH is a good indicator for the coral health, as i can notice my tank pH is higher whenever i am away from my tank for couple days/weeks, as i don't stick my hand into the tank. Whenever i intro some new sps frag into the tank, my pH drops 0.2~0.3 for 2days & it will regain back to normal after that.
I used to use soda lime to increase my tank pH, but tired of it as it is exhausted pretty fast & need frequent renewal, caused my tank instability if i don't renew it. So rather I just increase my refugium lighting period & intensity it does help elevate my pH slightly. Most important don't chase after those numbers, as long as your tank pH is stable (or increasing meaning your coral is performing photosynthesis & release more O2), it is good.
Lately my tank pH is elevated slightly & my coral is growing in general. So i think my coral is happy as my tank parameter is stable.

OP
OP
Bpb

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I’d never use any chemical additives to chase it. Big no no unfortunately a soda lime canister is my only line of defense here as the tank is way too far from an external wall to get fresh air to the skimmer, and I don’t run a refugium. I’ll roll with it as it is, knowing that as long as the salinity is correct, and the calcium and alkalinity are in my idea range, there will be enough buffering naturally to keep it out of the ph danger zone. Perhaps an effluent canister would be helpful on the calcium reactor.

Ken Lee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 1 point i was thinking to opt for Calcium Reactor when i setting up my new tank, but low pH issue had me to opt for dosing approach.
So far i am happy with dosing approach. I think u definitely need 2nd chamber for your CR to ease your pH issue.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you run the air line up a wall into the attic? That's what I'm doing and it definitely helps. Maybe not as much as straight outside air, but I have the same problem with my tank being in the middle of the house. The bonus is I don't have to worry about bugs, sprays, etc in the attic.

OP
OP
Bpb

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you run the air line up a wall into the attic? That's what I'm doing and it definitely helps. Maybe not as much as straight outside air, but I have the same problem with my tank being in the middle of the house. The bonus is I don't have to worry about bugs, sprays, etc in the attic.

I have thought about it but I have no idea how I would do that logistically. I don’t know how I’d get a line through all the insulation and get it all lined up perfect. Basically I have no idea how to do that. Let alone deal with my wife having a melt down over a tiny hole in the wall

OP
OP
Bpb

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is with much saddness that for the first time in many many many months, I’ve had a specimen RTN.

Was doing fine. Got home from work to this

RIP sky doppel. Just a few brittle pieces of flesh flapping in the current. Other side is totally dead and bare

b29925fff4373c0914d45201821ebd19.jpg

Maybe it was too close to some of the others on the rack????? Everything else is doing terrific.

OP
OP
Bpb

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a lot of cleaning! Do you run a uv sterilizer?

I don’t actually I’ve heard nothing but good things but have been hesitant to look too much into them. People say this hobby isn’t for the cheap but I buck that trend. I absolutely hate spending money

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought one those jebao uv sterilizers off amazon for cheap. Once I installed one it cut down on my glass cleaning a ton.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back