Brad's Natural Reef Mangroves, Macros, and More

pboutin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30105028574_df76d15357_z.jpg
Who's tank is this? Is the the inspirational tank you spoke of?

pboutin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is my tank
Awesome! So please forgive my ignorance but this thread seems to be a build of a smaller cube. Do you have an update for the long tank in that pic? I'd love to see everything related to reef planted tanks. You've done some spectacular work here.

EDIT: I see now this thread covers 2 tank builds

Last edited:
OP
OP
brad908

brad908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! So please forgive my ignorance but this thread seems to be a build of a smaller cube. Do you have an update for the long tank in that pic? I'd love to see everything related to reef planted tanks. You've done some spectacular work here.

EDIT: I see now this thread covers 2 tank builds

These mangroves started off in an 18" cube that was mixed with macro's. I then had a custom 48x18x14" tank made and transferred the 18" cube into the custom tank. I then started up a separate ADA 60f mangrove tank that was started from just seedlings. (The 18"cube/this current tank was started with mangroves that already had leaves)

Link to the ADA mangrove tunnel - https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brads-ada-60f-mangrove-tunnel.274954/

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One of my favs!

pboutin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the Idea of using Bonsai wire and techniques to train the mangroves. Do you find they move in the sand bed when trying to bend them? Just wondering why you have so much wire between them.

Looks really good BTW

pboutin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@brad908 Would the mangrove roots grow in water alone? Wonder how deep the roots would go and how they grow. I have a deep Refugium 40gal breeder tank that I want to try something in and I don't want to have to build up the sandbed to support them. I was thinking I could float the mangroves until their roots reach the current sandbed. Would be kind of cool and might look more natural with all the exposed twisted roots.

Wet_Fretboards

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is hands down the best looking tank I've seen. I don't know what it is, but you can have those "blue monsters" with all the gadgetry and I'll take one of these for the CENTER of the living room! Amazing work, my friend. Makes me want to sell off my current setup and go for it.

Coco Go

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Brad, I am inlove with this tank. I am a big fan of this build. The Macros are well placed and very well trimmed. The colors are very well balanced! Also, are those gargonians in the middle of the tank? The t5 fixture looks clean too. Could I ask how you set up the light mount? How did you run the power chords? I do not see the chords from the photo you've posted.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Loving it!

Ravens243

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely love this tank. Once i get my 180 running, I'm definitely trying something like this.

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice tank. Beautiful, perhaps inspirational, definitely gets you thinking.

How did the chromises work out? Do you still have all ten? Some people say that if you have a large school after a few months they'll gradually kill each other off... there can be only one! :D :D

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back