OP
OP
brad908

brad908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the Idea of using Bonsai wire and techniques to train the mangroves. Do you find they move in the sand bed when trying to bend them? Just wondering why you have so much wire between them.

Looks really good BTW

They don't move in the sand bed (these are planted in an 8" cube of mud and sand), but I am trying to significantly bend them over the tank versus their natural growth of straight up. I actually cleaned up a lot of the wires this weekend and will take new pics soon.

@brad908 Would the mangrove roots grow in water alone? Wonder how deep the roots would go and how they grow. I have a deep Refugium 40gal breeder tank that I want to try something in and I don't want to have to build up the sandbed to support them. I was thinking I could float the mangroves until their roots reach the current sandbed. Would be kind of cool and might look more natural with all the exposed twisted roots.

From the research I have done, mangroves do best when they are planted in mud/sand. You can't seen the roots in this tank because of how deep I initially planted them, but in my other mangrove tank the roots are starting to become very visible.

You can definitely float the mangroves, and a lot of people do. I think it is the difference between them really thriving and just surviving.

This is hands down the best looking tank I've seen. I don't know what it is, but you can have those "blue monsters" with all the gadgetry and I'll take one of these for the CENTER of the living room! Amazing work, my friend. Makes me want to sell off my current setup and go for it.

Thank you!

Hi Brad, I am inlove with this tank. I am a big fan of this build. The Macros are well placed and very well trimmed. The colors are very well balanced! Also, are those gargonians in the middle of the tank? The t5 fixture looks clean too. Could I ask how you set up the light mount? How did you run the power chords? I do not see the chords from the photo you've posted.

Yes, I have Purple ribbon, golden plume, purple plume, and a couple other gorg's I can't remember the name of.

The light is mounted to conduit piping and the power cord runs along the piping in a way that isn't visible in photos or when viewing the tank from the living room couch.

Very nice tank. Beautiful, perhaps inspirational, definitely gets you thinking.

How did the chromises work out? Do you still have all ten? Some people say that if you have a large school after a few months they'll gradually kill each other off... there can be only one! :D :D

There is only one haha. They were down to 3 for a few months, but now only 1 remains. I can't decide to get more or try something else out.

OP
OP
brad908

brad908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went to Cal Academy of Sciences on Monday which was one of the main inspirations for this tank

5FF12203-C1AF-4DB8-A638-CD9016136474_zpsxswh0mv8.jpg

31EDE020-A2DD-490A-9FE9-AA04763E3125_zpsoe2fxtrb.jpg

8FF952A7-F0A4-43C7-BEFF-A3FB14CC60FD_zpsej5kwvhk.jpg

AEF2EB16-4DE7-475E-95DF-22AA87013136_zpsv3imofds.jpg

upload_2017-7-5_9-29-25.gif

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is only one haha. They were down to 3 for a few months, but now only 1 remains. I can't decide to get more or try something else out.

That's a bit sad/depressing. Based on some other threads, I was hoping that your tank would be big enough that they wouldn't do that. :(

ReeferDave01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@brad908 Would the mangrove roots grow in water alone? Wonder how deep the roots would go and how they grow. I have a deep Refugium 40gal breeder tank that I want to try something in and I don't want to have to build up the sandbed to support them. I was thinking I could float the mangroves until their roots reach the current sandbed. Would be kind of cool and might look more natural with all the exposed twisted roots.
I have 2 tanks connected with one sump. My smaller tank is 24" cube and I have dozen mangroves floating for about 6 months now. They have roots down about a foot so far from surface

OP
OP
brad908

brad908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a bit sad/depressing. Based on some other threads, I was hoping that your tank would be big enough that they wouldn't do that. :(

Dimensional wise the tank is 48x18x14, but with all the rock work I would say it is more about 24x18x14 of swim space.

I've had a trio of pajama cardinals for over a year now and am just going to keep adding and make a group of about 10. Tired of wasting money on chromis, just to kill each other off.

VR28man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dimensional wise the tank is 48x18x14, but with all the rock work I would say it is more about 24x18x14 of swim space.

I've had a trio of pajama cardinals for over a year now and am just going to keep adding and make a group of about 10. Tired of wasting money on chromis, just to kill each other off.

Yeah, from what I remember hearing is that if you want to keep a chromis school, you should keep a large odd number (7, 9, 11) in a decent size (at least 100ish) tank. With lots of hiding places and branching coral heads (CAVEAT: this is simply my recollection going through many threads. I have no direct experience, and am not going to search to see if my memory is correct).

That being said, I'm going to have a tank with a similar profile (48x16x16), so I definitely appreciate this thread. :) Nice pic of the PJ cards too - love the colors and use of background elements.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man this is so awesome!

Sir Chris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently under going my venture. Is t5 good growth light. Do they require special lighting other then plant bulbs. I've got quite a few and know red roots are what u want not white. Thx

image.jpg

Nemo68

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone - Last November I went to the California Academy of Sciences and fell in love with their mangrove displays. Between the visit and Giga's mangrove work, I knew I had to set up a mangrove tank. I quickly gathered up old equipment and made an 18" mangrove macro tank that quickly became my favorite tank I have ever put together.

After having the tank up for about 10-11 months, I've decided it is time to combine my mixed reef tank and my mangrove macro tank.

Equipment

• 48x18x14 Starfire SCA Aquariums
  • 24" NanoBox Hybrid | 4 v3 pucks with 2 24" T5
  • NanoBox DUO | Flare edition
  • Ecotech MP10
  • Jebao WP10
  • 22x16x15" Synergy Sump (not currently in use)
  • Mame Overflow (not currently in use)
  • Bubble Magus Curve 5 (not currently in use)
  • Hydor L40 (not currently in use)
  • Apex Jr. (not currently in use)
  • Elos Osmo ATO Controller (not currently in use)
Fish

• Black Ocellaris Clownfish
  • Regular Ocellaris Clownfish
  • Pajam Cardinal - x3
  • Blue/Green Chromis - x10
Macro Algae's

• Caulerpa Prolifera
  • Halimeda Opuntia
  • Botryocladia
  • Hypnea Pannosa
  • Coralline Clusters
  • Corky Finger
  • Tan Spiny
  • Tan Candelabra
  • Purple Ribbon
  • Purple Candelabra
  • Padina
Coral

• Hammer's - x3
  • Duncan
30105028574_df76d15357_z.jpg
Absolutely Stunning!!!!

OP
OP
brad908

brad908

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man this is so awesome!

Thanks again for the Facebook post! Big update coming this weekend, with a video.

(I had a bunch of the macros out of the tank in the latest photos and new 6500k bulbs came yesterday. Last photos had ATI blue+ and coral+ in, which I'm not a big fan of.)

Last edited:

TerraFerma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It's not a tank size issue but rather most green/blue chromis aren't collected and shipped with great care. The net caught ones do pretty good but usually come in at the upper limit of chromis size wise.

Back