Brain Food: What is the feeding mechanism of Trachyphyllia coral?

What is the feeding mechanism of Trachyphyllia coral?

• Filter feeding

Votes: 9 5.1%
  • Suspension feeding

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • Photosynthesis

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • All of the above

Votes: 148 84.6%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Brain Food: What is the feeding mechanism of Trachyphyllia coral?

This week we have been talking about brain corals so let’s talk about how they feed, and specifically, how trachyphyllia feed. Are they filter feeders, suspension feeders, or do they feed via photosynthesis? If one or more of these options don’t apply to trachys, then what other corals feed that way? Maybe most importantly, what is your experience with feeding trachys? Please tell us what you feed your trachy and share any tips that you may have on providing a healthy diet for brain corals.

QCC_Trachy.jpeg

Photo by @Queen City Corals

Note: As an experiment, today's poll question was generated by AI software.

coral reeftank

IG:crt_reefs
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've had a fair amount of brain corals during my time in the hobby, and I can definitely say like most other LPS corals they benefit greatly from direct feedings. My oldest piece will be around 7 years old in my care soon. I try to feed my brains about once a week, either pellets or frozen foods. The day after feeding they become extremely puffy. While they are photosynthetic, I believe feeding them directly can aid in their long-term health in a reef tank.

_DSC6903.JPG

_DSC6904-2.JPG

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the cousin of a Trach....a Wellso, and it puts out polyps that appear to move the food to it's mouth, located in the center of the coral....similar to an anemone. I apologize for the poor quality photos because I have a cheap camera...

Here it is thinking about putting out it's polyps.

WELLSO Polyps 02.jpg

And here it is with polyps full out, more typical with lights out.

WELLSO Polyps 01.JPG

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the cousin of a Trach....a Wellso, and it puts out polyps that appear to move the food to it's mouth, located in the center of the coral....similar to an anemone. I apologize for the poor quality photos because I have a cheap camera...

Here it is thinking about putting out it's polyps.

WELLSO Polyps 02.jpg

And here it is with polyps full out, more typical with lights out.

WELLSO Polyps 01.JPG
1. That's a lobophyllia, not a trachyphyllia (or wellso)
2. Wellsophyllia is a synonym of Trachyphyllia

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. That's a lobophyllia, not a trachyphyllia (or wellso)
2. Wellsophyllia is a synonym of Trachyphyllia
I can understand #2 because up until recently they were considered separate. I'd say the majority haven't made the jump yet. As for 1, how do you tell the difference? I'm interested.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can understand #2 because up until recently they were considered separate. I'd say the majority haven't made the jump yet. As for 1, how do you tell the difference? I'm interested.
The flesh texture looks more like that of a lobo than a trachy. Trachyphyllias also have larger, flatter mantles and don't have this color scheme of purple with a green concentric ring.

code4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a Trachyphyllia for around 4 years now. I feed mine whenever it extends its polyps. My husband seems to feed it more often, a little bit of whatever he is feeding our fish. It puffs up to several times its size. It does appear to like lower flow than the rest of my tank. So, I put a plexi glass "jail" over it. A cover made from plexi glass with dozens of holes drilled in it. It swelled so much one time that it lifted it clean off! It normally only takes up about half the space.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back