Brain Teaser! Which of these types of corals are you familiar with?

Which of these types of brain corals are you familiar with?

• Diploastrea

Votes: 20 9.0%
  • Diploria

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • Leptastria

Votes: 100 45.0%
  • Leptoria

Votes: 24 10.8%
  • Montastrea

Votes: 38 17.1%
  • Oulophyllia

Votes: 19 8.6%
  • None of the above

Votes: 92 41.4%
  • Other

Votes: 13 5.9%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Brain Teaser! Which of these types of corals are you familiar with?

While the Trachy, Lobo, Wilsoni, and Wellso (now considered to be a Trachy) seem to get the attention, there are plenty of other brain corals that you may or may not be familiar with. In addition to the more common types of brain corals, other genera include Diploria, Leptastria, Monstastrea, Oulophyllia, and more. Let us know if you are familiar with any of these “other" brain corals. Are there other less-common brain corals that you are familiar with? If so, please share what you know, what has been your experience, and any tips that you have for these corals.

Theil_Oulophyllia.jpeg

Oulophyllia bennettae showing its green color with some blue mixed in
Photo by snowsurfer and ultimatereef

Looking for some additional info on these “other” brain corals? Please check out this R2R article on Oulophyllia – moon coral.

...and of course, if you have corrections or updates please share what you know so that we can all learn together! Thanks!!!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen each of the ones that aren’t Atlantic but I don’t remember their exact care other than lepastrea (which most of us are familiar with).

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Wellso....my oldest coral at around 15 years old. It is the only open brain I've own, so I know nothing about the others mentioned. I can only tell you I've abused mine. For a while it was in my sump. At some point early on I use to target feed. Now it's on it's own.

Wellso Split.jpg

Now, as far as the debacle about it's genealogy....and realize I'm terrible with time.....So about 5-6 years ago (again, might be 4 or might be 7), there was this big stink about Wellso's not existing and in fact they were Trachyphyllia geoffroyi. This pedigree was accepted for about 3 or 4 years and then announced that they errorred and Wellsophillia do exist. Regardless of what the pundits might say next, I'll always have this Wellso! And as Edith Anne would say, "And that's the truth!.....pffffffttttttttttttttttth)

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Wellso....my oldest coral at around 15 years old. It is the only open brain I've own, so I know nothing about the others mentioned. I can only tell you I've abused mine. For a while it was in my sump. At some point early on I use to target feed. Now it's on it's own.

Wellso Split.jpg

Now, as far as the debacle about it's genealogy....and realize I'm terrible with time.....So about 5-6 years ago (again, might be 4 or might be 7), there was this big stink about Wellso's not existing and in fact they were Trachyphyllia geoffroyi. This pedigree was accepted for about 3 or 4 years and then announced that they errorred and Wellsophillia do exist. Regardless of what the pundits might say next, I'll always have this Wellso! And as Edith Anne would say, "And that's the truth!.....pffffffttttttttttttttttth)

That actually looks like a lobophyllia, not a wellso (or trachy).

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diploria and Montastrea are from the Atlantic and are never seen in the hobby.

Symphyllia is a synonym of Lobophyllia.
I think the reason we are familiar with it is we used to have Montastrea in the hobby but then the pacific species got reclassified as Phymastrea You can still see " Montastrea" for sale.

http://www.coralsoftheworld.org/spe...s_factsheet_summary/phymastrea-magnistellata/

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not familiar with many of these coral names but leptastrea is my favorite. I try to pick up any that I can find and honestly some of these things called leptastrea are really different from each other so I would love to know what they really are. I love them all though.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the reason we are familiar with it is we used to have Montastrea in the hobby but then the pacific species got reclassified as Phymastrea You can still see " Montastrea" for sale.

http://www.coralsoftheworld.org/spe...s_factsheet_summary/phymastrea-magnistellata/

Phymastrea species actually got reclassified into many different genera such as Astrea, Favites (colemani, valenciennesii, magnistellata), Micromussa (multipunctata), and Paramontastrea (salebrosa, serageldini).

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wellso Split.jpg

Since I'm terrible with time, and this subject sparked my interest, I looked into the Wellso / Trach debate and here are the dates I've found:

> First identified in 1980 as a Wellsophyllia radiata.

> Around 2000, they claimed the Wellsophyllia radiata was actually a Trachyphyllia geoffroyi, and therefore the name Wellsophyllia should not be used.

> In 2014, using detailed skeletal formation, they found that the original identification was correct, and Wellsophyllia was different than Trachyphyllia, and therefore it's own genius/species.

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I'm terrible with time, and this subject sparked my interest, I looked into the Wellso / Trach debate and here are the dates I've found:

> First identified in 1980 as a Wellsophyllia radiata.

> Around 2000, they claimed the Wellsophyllia radiata was actually a Trachyphyllia geoffroyi, and therefore the name Wellsophyllia should not be used.

> In 2014, using detailed skeletal formation, they found that the original identification was correct, and Wellsophyllia was different than Trachyphyllia, and therefore it's own genius/species.
No, Wellsophyllia is still synonymized with Trachyphyllia.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back