Page's office tank

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was fiddling with the tank. Was trying to get a feel for set up and this happened. Anybody have a fix
IMG_20200211_083449933.jpg

Can you post a pic of the piece that broke off?

OP
OP
sfin52

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a pic of the piece that broke off?
That's the piece that broke. It's the return nozzle union piece. It's all one piece

I think I got it figured out. I will have to have two 90 and go over the over flow. Pvc in this build

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's the piece that broke. It's the return nozzle union piece. It's all one piece

I think I got it figured out. I will have to have two 90 and go over the over flow. Pvc in this build

Yup, I know it's the piece that broke. I was hoping to see the piece of material that broke off of the broken piece. ;)

I agree that "PVC up and over" will work.

OP
OP
sfin52

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I know it's the piece that broke. I was hoping to see the piece of material that broke off of the broken piece. ;)

I agree that "PVC up and over" will work.
Sorry I don't have that. It's basically a hard plumbed union.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, after observing the newly added driftwood last night, I came to the conclusion I didn't like it. So, I decided to make some adjustments this morning which were no fun because of how I had mounted the driftwood on to the 12" x 12" tiles. It was a PITA to move everything plus have to dig the tiles out. Anyway, I got it done and decided to load an old Rena Filstar XP XL filter with a good amount of carbon, polyester fill (poor man's filter floss) and a little Zeolite and hook it up to help clear the tank quicker. I hooked up the filter and, upon getting it priming, I ducked into the laundry room to change a load of clothes. I came back into the living room to water gushing from the top of the filter where the hosing housing attaches and about 8 gallons of water on the floor. I quickly broke the siphon, amidst shouting a few choice words, and dislodged the hosing housing from the filter to examine it. Upon examining it, I saw that the each of the O-rings were missing from their fittings and caused the leak. I then vaguely recalled pulling off the O-rings from when I had previously been using it. I did this in case the filter might have been sitting in the garage for a length of time that might cause the O-rings to rot. This way, I would be forced to use new O-rings. Well, my plan to force myself to use new O-rings worked a little better than than I guess I planned. Ahhhh, the fun of aquarium keeping with dain bramage! :D

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I don't have that. It's basically a hard plumbed union.
Yea, that piece is glued in I think. You could take it out and glue a new piece in. As long as it was the same size pipe you would be fine.

If you’re going hoodless, up and over would be fine. Otherwise you’re going to want to use that hole ;)

also, if you do go up and over, you will need to seal that hole lol

OP
OP
sfin52

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, after observing the newly added driftwood last night, I came to the conclusion I didn't like it. So, I decided to make some adjustments this morning which were no fun because of how I had mounted the driftwood on to the 12" x 12" tiles. It was a PITA to move everything plus have to dig the tiles out. Anyway, I got it done and decided to load an old Rena Filstar XP XL filter with a good amount of carbon, polyester fill (poor man's filter floss) and a little Zeolite and hook it up to help clear the tank quicker. I hooked up the filter and, upon getting it priming, I ducked into the laundry room to change a load of clothes. I came back into the living room to water gushing from the top of the filter where the hosing housing attaches and about 8 gallons of water on the floor. I quickly broke the siphon, amidst shouting a few choice words, and dislodged the hosing housing from the filter to examine it. Upon examining it, I saw that the each of the O-rings were missing from their fittings and caused the leak. I then vaguely recalled pulling off the O-rings from when I had previously been using it. I did this in case the filter might have been sitting in the garage for a length of time that might cause the O-rings to rot. This way, I would be forced to use new O-rings. Well, my plan to force myself to use new O-rings worked a little better than than I guess I planned. Ahhhh, the fun of aquarium keeping with dain bramage! :D
At least it was only 8g my goodness that's a crazy day

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spilled some water on the floor once.

OP
OP
sfin52

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea, that piece is glued in I think. You could take it out and glue a new piece in. As long as it was the same size pipe you would be fine.

If you’re going hoodless, up and over would be fine. Otherwise you’re going to want to use that hole ;)

also, if you do go up and over, you will need to seal that hole lol
I think it's cast

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carefully drill it out maybe?

Depending on the thickness of that wall and what material it is, if it's plastic, I'd be worried about the bit getting hung up and cracking the wall. A Dremel might be a better option.

OP
OP
sfin52

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of quick pics with new layout.

20200211_161410.jpg

20200211_161417.jpg
I like it. Not so centered
Depending on the thickness of that wall and what material it is, if it's plastic, I'd be worried about the bit getting hung up and cracking the wall. A Dremel might be a better option.
It is plastic. Really no way to brace it. I'm not sure if it's stock or it's been after market added. I may have to go over.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It is plastic. Really no way to brace it. I'm not sure if it's stock or it's been after market added. I may have to go over.
Mine looks exactly the same except that piece is intact lol

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of quick pics with new layout.

20200211_161410.jpg

20200211_161417.jpg
Glad I’m not the only one who likes those glo fish. Rachel about threw me out of the house when I added those to our tank. She calls them “bar-tards” ;Dead

tank looks great, I bet you could get some plants to grow on that driftwood too!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks, I tried to go with the rule of 1/3rds.

As for bracing the plastic, you could always clamp a piece of plywood to it.

Glad I’m not the only one who likes those glo fish. Rachel about threw me out of the house when I added those to our tank. She calls them “bar-tards” ;Dead

tank looks great, I bet you could get some plants to grow on that driftwood too!

Actually, I'm not such a big fan of glo-fish. However, I set the tank up for Katherine and she has free reign on what fish goes in it. This is also the reason for so many fancy goldfish. I'm not a fan of those either.

I've considering adding some moss on the driftwood but, from what I understand, it's very invasive and once you have moss, you always have moss. There are some other options though.

Back