Branching gsp (Briareum) - prune, tie down or let it go?

s_tempest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the first corals I put in my tank six months ago was a softie from my LFS - a small piece sold as green star polyps. I put it on its own shelf of rock with a “dam” of acan echinata to keep it in check in case it spread.
It’s done well and spread to cover its space, almost like one of those Amano fw planted tanks with a lawn of riccia.
But the odd things is -
As it grows, the gsp (really Briareum, if I’m right) is branching. Sort of. As it grows, a section will come off the rock, fold around on itself into a tube. It’s pretty odd. Photos below.
Would you:
A) prune off the branches?
B) try to tie them down to lay flat?
C) let it go to see what happens?

I‘m leaning (c) let it go. Any unforeseen consequence?

when I bought it (tied down with zip ties)
126B7613-0708-41BE-8526-41B6136E0811.jpeg

and after six months, lights on
380890F4-68F9-470A-8ADB-08110E3447AA.jpeg

and lights off - you can better see the tube-branches
B94E72FD-1171-409C-8F4A-920F9766246F.jpeg

Indytraveler83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine does exactly the same. Usually the branches end up spiraling down on themselves and making it look bushy. Sometimes they branch somewhere I don't want, and then I trim them back.

The nice thing about gsp is it's insanely easy to trim, I've pinched it off with my fingers. I say don't trim unless you specifically don't like where it is/is heading.

Brandon103095

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i really like how that looks, could be its own bridge across the tank lol. i just put my extremely small frag on the back of my tank in hopes it covers the whole back side as a "lawn"

Lopazasd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey. Our Briareum branches are also becoming thick and lush, like spruce. We didn't pin them in any way. We immediately started cutting off the excesses. This is the best way to limit the overgrowth of excess aquatic plants. And it's not hard for me to do it even every week. It's growing fast, but not so fast as you think, guys. I read many useful tips on the website for Aquarium Plant Care. I started looking at this site when my kids gave me an aquarium with fish and ugly plastic plants. It was my birthday gift. I thought artificial decorations in aquariums looked superfluous. So I replaced them with lush aquarium corals and plants

Last edited:

bvanfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey. Our Briareum branches are also becoming thick and lush, like spruce. We didn't pin them in any way. We immediately started cutting off the excesses. This is the best way to limit the overgrowth of excess aquatic plants. And it's not hard for me to do it even every week. It's growing fast, but not so fast as you think, guys. I read many useful tips on the website for Aquarium Plant Care. I started looking at this site when my kids gave me an aquarium with fish and ugly plastic plants. It was my birthday gift. I thought artificial decorations in aquariums looked superfluous. So I replaced them with lush aquarium corals and plants
@Lopazasd Do you have the purple variety? I am looking for some!

Also @ op if you do frag it I would be interested!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back